The Planted Tank Forum banner

201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I like the light coloured sand too, maybe throw a patch or two of dwarf crypts like parva just to break it up a hair? Probably not needed as the plants in the middle / center start filling in though....

Actually a single, large plant of Helanthium reaching up from the dark back into the light would look pretty cool in my opinion (since you were asking for opinions ;) ), something like this:

Okay... I like this idea with the small crypt in the front! I was thinking on incorporating something like that at some point- Once some of these new plants settle in and get a more 'final' placement, perhaps I'll add some parva.

I do have a small bit of Helanthium bolivianum "angustifolius" panted right now, in front of the wood on the right. In the past this plant has done amazingly well for me, but the past 6 months or so have been a stuggle. Hopefully this will bounce back, as I agree that would look great!
@Immortal1 I like the idea of the buce all over- let's hope I have good luck with theses and can propagate them. If it does work, perhaps a couple more variety all around!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
I loooveee the open sand. As Quag pictured above-- I get the feel of an island scape.

Is this still a blackwater tank?
I like it! This is some good feedback!! I'll keep the island theme!

It has now 'converted' over to CO2 injected, and is no longer really Blackwater.

I think now I am going for more of a nature style, George Farmer-esk tank. Lighting is not crazy high, so should be a fun setup.

What I like about this 40 breeder so far is all the possibilities! It is also pretty easy to redo vs. my 75 which has all the bows and barbs.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Did a water change, and some arranging I the tank.

Glued the buce to a lava rock as well as the top of the wood. The Jade clump was in a bit more rough shape, and naturally came apart, so I took it as an opportunity to glue to to the tall part of the wood. Curious how it will do here.

Overall things are looking positive since my time rescaping last week.

·
Registered
931 Posts

Loving the new look.

Do you have a similar piece of wood as the bottom right piece that you can prop up against the left back side to cover the left rear tank seam. Would make it look like that branch was starting at the rear upper left through the center island plants then back out towards the right lower front corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Looks like it is filling in nicely!
Thanks Linn! Few more weeks and hopefully be pretty full!
Looking very, very good.

Best pic yet!!
Thanks Gregg- it's nice having this style to play with too!
Great photos! I like how the lighting shines on the plants and fish and leaves the background dark, it almost like it spot lights the key elements of the tank. Very nice.
Thanks Ken! That is exactly what I like about these Asta 20 lights. That picture is really close to what I see. The back is really backed out in person too. Very cool looking!
Loving the new look.

Do you have a similar piece of wood as the bottom right piece that you can prop up against the left back side to cover the left rear tank seam. Would make it look like that branch was starting at the rear upper left through the center island plants then back out towards the right lower front corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! That would be a neat look, however, right now this is all I have for wood. Good things is I enjoy rescaping, so perhaps that is a future attempt!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great photos! I like how the lighting shines on the plants and fish and leaves the background dark, it almost like it spot lights the key elements of the tank. Very nice.
Agree with this, that last picture and the new lighting setup is dead on!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Love this whole journal

I've always wanted to try the low maintenance, blackwater type set up but I'm in love with stems and highlight. Like the transition that this tank went through

Yes, the 40 breeders are perfect dimensions
any breeding happening in this tank or do you think the bright lights don't let it happen?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Love this whole journal

I've always wanted to try the low maintenance, blackwater type set up but I'm in love with stems and highlight. Like the transition that this tank went through

Yes, the 40 breeders are perfect dimensions

any breeding happening in this tank or do you think the bright lights don't let it happen?
Thank you! Funny you should ask about breeding. There was one batch of eggs I found on the java fern when cleaning it off. Those obviously didn't stand a chance, but look what I found last night. Now, I am not hopeful in the slightest anything will make it, and I am not setup to try to breed, but it is good to see a healthy and happy tank!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Just another water change this week. Some BGA showing up so treated for it after cleaning.

Overall things are going well. One strange thing is since adding CO2 the hygrophila kompakt has been melting some leaves. Seems like this plant is not a huge fan of change!

·
Registered
340 Posts
So glad I found this thread! I recently just added a 40B to my 'arsenal' of tanks and really was thinking 'clearwater' Apisto tank very very similar to what you have here. Tons of information, pictures, and even CO2.

As a side note, I am curious about your CO2 usage/regulation. I am currently planning to use my Apex controller on my 200g reef system to control both my 75g rainbow tank and this new 40B tank. I would need to find a regulator with a manifold and independent solenoids (that should be cheap...not), while the Apex will control the pH drop via each solenoid.

Additionally, I plan to breed, so I am going to go with pencilfish, but man do those neons look absolutely awesome!

Lastly - I was thinking about running just a simple AquaClear 70 HOB...do you think that's sufficient? I realllllly don't like canister filters, so I'm hoping the HOB will suffice.

Again, great job on both tanks!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
So glad I found this thread! I recently just added a 40B to my 'arsenal' of tanks and really was thinking 'clearwater' Apisto tank very very similar to what you have here. Tons of information, pictures, and even CO2.

As a side note, I am curious about your CO2 usage/regulation. I am currently planning to use my Apex controller on my 200g reef system to control both my 75g rainbow tank and this new 40B tank. I would need to find a regulator with a manifold and independent solenoids (that should be cheap...not), while the Apex will control the pH drop via each solenoid.

Additionally, I plan to breed, so I am going to go with pencilfish, but man do those neons look absolutely awesome!

Lastly - I was thinking about running just a simple AquaClear 70 HOB...do you think that's sufficient? I realllllly don't like canister filters, so I'm hoping the HOB will suffice.

Again, great job on both tanks!
If you have an Apex and can regulate the pH and have solenoid per tank that is fantastic! I only have the pH controller on my 75 gallon, so I am trying to fine tune my dwyer flow meters on each tank to not ping the CO2 shutoff level in the 75. Getting close. I also am trying to tune down the CO2 in the 40 breeder- I only have the one 10lb tank, and right now with shelter in place orders getting more CO2 would not be an essential activity- and this would really mess with my 75 gallon (not so worried about CO2 in the 40 breeder- but having a spare tank would be really nice now....).

My advice on the pencilfish to get them to breed is to have floating plants. Then were spawning every day when I had them. I only had one fry survive the tank, but the apistogramma learned where they spawned and learned to hunt the surface of the water.

I am sure an AquaClear would work fine- for filtration it really is to each their own.

Good luck with the tank!

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you have an Apex and can regulate the pH and have solenoid per tank that is fantastic! I only have the pH controller on my 75 gallon, so I am trying to fine tune my dwyer flow meters on each tank to not ping the CO2 shutoff level in the 75. Getting close. I also am trying to tune down the CO2 in the 40 breeder- I only have the one 10lb tank, and right now with shelter in place orders getting more CO2 would not be an essential activity- and this would really mess with my 75 gallon (not so worried about CO2 in the 40 breeder- but having a spare tank would be really nice now....).

My advice on the pencilfish to get them to breed is to have floating plants. Then were spawning every day when I had them. I only had one fry survive the tank, but the apistogramma learned where they spawned and learned to hunt the surface of the water.

I am sure an AquaClear would work fine- for filtration it really is to each their own.

Good luck with the tank!
Great advice on the pencilfish, though I must admit I think I am looking forward to the Apistos breeding moreso!

Question on the flow meters as I am purchasing a regulator/post body. I'm used to having a needle valve - do these Dwyer flow meters replace the needle valves? Or can they/should they? If so, there are a ton of different models, is there one in particular I should be after?

Appreciate the help!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Great advice on the pencilfish, though I must admit I think I am looking forward to the Apistos breeding moreso!

Question on the flow meters as I am purchasing a regulator/post body. I'm used to having a needle valve - do these Dwyer flow meters replace the needle valves? Or can they/should they? If so, there are a ton of different models, is there one in particular I should be after?

Appreciate the help!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
On my 75 I am using a RMA 151 by Dwyer. This has its own needle valve and a 5-50 cc/min scale. There are lost of good discussions all over this board about flow meters, I suggest checking them out!

As to the CO2 in the 40 breeder- I am making the call and cutting it off as of today. There is nothing that really is demanding for CO2 in the tanks right now, and I need to conserve the resources for my 75. I will also tune the two Asta 20 lights down- Maybe get PAR around 40 or so at substrate (play with Seneye later on today).

Perhaps when things lift I'll turn the CO2 back on (and keep an extra tank... lesson leaned).

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
It has been a while since an update, and in that time not too much had happened with this tank. Still not cooking with gas right now. We will see if I do go back to gas or not. I'll refill and grab a spare tank in the coming weeks so it will be an option at least.

Did a bit of a cleanup today. Had some BGA to clean up, a bit annoying, but all is well.

Hope all are doing well though this madness, and trying to find a bit of peace with their tanks.

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
It has been a while since an update, and in that time not too much had happened with this tank. Still not cooking with gas right now. We will see if I do go back to gas or not. I'll refill and grab a spare tank in the coming weeks so it will be an option at least.

Did a bit of a cleanup today. Had some BGA to clean up, a bit annoying, but all is well.

Hope all are doing well though this madness, and trying to find a bit of peace with their tanks.
Love that green algae growing up that piece of wood near waterline.

The tank looks great and the colors on those fish are spectacular.

What are you feeding?

201 - 220 of 258 Posts