The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[edit] Ok new question: pH.. mainly of water used in soil or soil-less grindal worm cultures... what pH of water do you use to initially moisten substrate/cocofiber/soil/pads and for misting substrate and food? [/end edit]

I'm currently taking care of a black worm culture which I'm a bit sick of and want to try something different. Soil based worm cultures I hear a lot about pests infecting so I'd like to try soil-less. The worms are for my husband's dwarf puffer but if the culture grows quickly I'll also feed my other fish (bettas, angelfish, rainbowfish, cory, cherry barbs, and wcmm) with it.

I'm looking to try these soil-less grindal worms out soon and would like to hear what others use/do, specifically:
Do you add sponge media from a cycled tank?
What do you use for food?
How long have your cultures been going and how much care (daily or every other day) are you giving (how many minutes of maitenance)?
Who did you get your culture from?

Thank you for your feedback/suggestions etc.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I raise gindal worms and have never had success with soiless. I don't know why but they always die back or stink. In my coconut fiber the grow like crazy with no problems.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
There's soil cultures, coconut fiber cultures, and soilless cultures that use cleaning pads.

Since grindal worms are terrestrial, I don't see why you would use sponge media from an aquarium...you could just add it dry, no problem.

Never grew a culture, but I'm planning to...I don't know when.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I use those felt scouring pads you can buy from any dollar store.

I feed my soiless grindals assorted flake and pellet food meant for my fish.

My soiless cultures have been going on for several months now and the only maintenance I do is feeding the worms once every other day or so and completely changing the water in their container with dechlorinated tap once a week.

I got my grindals from Aquabid but you can probably get them on fleabay.

I'll probably switch back to coir if I can figure out how to keep my substrate from becoming too acidic.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I have a grindal worm culture with potting soil in it. Never had any sort of pest issue aside from some sort of little gnats. When I saw the gnats, I just put the culture in my dart frog habitat with the lid off, and they ate all the gnats without getting at all the underground worms.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a new question... a few but not most of the sites I read about grindal worm keeping mention neutral or near neutral pH for water/soil used. I'd like to know what pH or water people use for their culture (regardless of soil or soil-less)?

I bought mine with the assumption it would be here in 3-4 days giving me some time to get final details hammed out... it arrived today >.< I have 7.5pH and very hard water.. but I have a 1g jug of distilled so I guess I can mix some together to get near neutral... but I'd love to know if anyone successfully uses alkaline and hard water with their cultures.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts