The Planted Tank Forum banner

3821 - 3828 of 3828 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,821
I also stopped receiving alerts with this thread, I'm just catching up now.

Interesting you are still dropping pH by 1.4 with a soil tank, I would have thought it look less of a drop to cause livestock distress.
I have not found any difference in relation to pH drop and fish stress. Curious as to why you think there would be??

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have not found any difference in relation to pH drop and fish stress. Curious as to why you think there would be??
I'm not entirely sure, I just always assumed a tank with an active substrate with a buffered pH in the low 6's could have max CO2 dissolved in it without dropping the pH by 1.4 (before livestock starting showing stress).

Or in other words, livestock would start showing stress at a 1.0 or 1.1 drop, not a full 1.4 drop.

I have limited experience with active substrates, so I'm learning as I go ;)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I would leave it out for like three days. I left my probe in the test sample overnight for another three days to be really sure it stabilized. And it did.
So just double checked the cup and it's 5.92ph. So seems to be stable at that pH. I collected that water on Friday of last week, so 6 days now. Plus the RO tank mixing for 2 days. It will be interesting to see what 0.1dKH does for pH.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm not entirely sure, I just always assumed a tank with an active substrate with a buffered pH in the low 6's could have max CO2 dissolved in it without dropping the pH by 1.4 (before livestock starting showing stress).

Or in other words, livestock would start showing stress at a 1.0 or 1.1 drop, not a full 1.4 drop.

I have limited experience with active substrates, so I'm learning as I go ;)
Seems to me that buffered pH in the low 6's would have very low KH and would therefore drop pH more to get around 30 PPM CO2. But I have no idea what happens to the CO2 and pH relationship at near zero KH so it's all speculation.

3821 - 3828 of 3828 Posts