The Planted Tank Forum banner

3521 - 3540 of 3728 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,521
One of my favorite times to view the tank is the last half hour of the lighting period. Only running two tubes, Powerveg 660 and Giesemann Super Purple, two heavily colored bulbs.

Flowers are all closed up, things are peaceful, and color under those bulbs is really neat to see.

I took pics at a several different settings to try and capture what I see. About as close as I have got so far.

[/url]

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,523
yup, what some people disdainfully see as "blurple" is also my favorite look. I think I tend to like it just a tick lighter so that brighter green plants show better, but nonetheless, very close.
Yep, blurple for sure.

How's this...better? It is very tricky to capture that end of day color. Grabs your attention, that is for sure.

·
Captain
3,614 Posts
One of my favorite times to view the tank is the last half hour of the lighting period. Only running two tubes, Powerveg 660 and Giesemann Super Purple, two heavily colored bulbs.

Flowers are all closed up, things are peaceful, and color under those bulbs is really neat to see.

I took pics at a several different settings to try and capture what I see. About as close as I have got so far.

[/url]

The evening times during lighting shut down is very pleasing for sure. One of my favorite times, and it seems to only last 10 minutes maybe, is first thing in the morning when the sunlight is shining on the tank (no tank lights). If things work right and the planets align, you get to see some spectacular colors! Trying to remember Gregg what your room layout is like - specifically is there a window in that room and what direction does it face?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know some thought I was nuts when I swapped out my soil to Landen......me included. And there were a lot of bumps and bruises during the transition. But now that some time has passed, I have to say all in all it was a good move. But it's not magic, and you still need to spend time dialing in Light/CO2/Ferts/Maintenance. The basics all still matter.

In the end, the tank seems more stable and forgiving, it's easier to keep a wider variety of species happy, and in general just closer to autopilot than ever before. If I were starting from scratch, it's the way I would go.

And was walking by the tank a few minutes ago, and had to snap a few pics. The tank is getting closer and closer to where I had hoped. Still dialing some things in, but getting closer all the time.

This is absolutely the most stunning rainbow planted aquarium I have ever seen!
My favorite fish of all time and the plants are amazing as well!
I wish I could hire you to make me an aquarium like yours! Maybe someday !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,527
One of my favorite times, and it seems to only last 10 minutes maybe, is first thing in the morning when the sunlight is shining on the tank (no tank lights). If things work right and the planets align, you get to see some spectacular colors! Trying to remember Gregg what your room layout is like - specifically is there a window in that room and what direction does it face?
Yes there is a window close by, but it's facing west and has a pretty good sized tree in front of it. So I don't get that effect, but I can see that is does look cool.

The curious thing would be if there was a lot of direct sun in the morning, how would that affect everything else? Like every other minor change I bet there would be something. Would it be good or bad? Who knows??

Bump:
This is absolutely the most stunning rainbow planted aquarium I have ever seen!
My favorite fish of all time and the plants are amazing as well!
I wish I could hire you to make me an aquarium like yours! Maybe someday !
Thank you for the very kind words. I never know who is following along out there, so appreciate you dropping in.

·
Captain
3,614 Posts
Yes there is a window close by, but it's facing west and has a pretty good sized tree in front of it. So I don't get that effect, but I can see that is does look cool.

The curious thing would be if there was a lot of direct sun in the morning, how would that affect everything else? Like every other minor change I bet there would be something. Would it be good or bad? Who knows??.

I have thought about that with regards to algae issues as the PAR level coming thru the window is pretty high by our standards - think like 500 PAR. But, that only applies when the curtains are open (not as often as you would think), and like I said, 10-15 minutes before the tree out front begins blocking the direct sun so you have to be quick if you want to enjoy the effects.

But, it is pretty amazing when it does happen and the fish are willing to entertain me :wink2:

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Beautiful mix of colors. All my favorite stems are in there.

(I’m almost done with your par meter. Still trying to figure out where I should be running things.)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,531 (Edited)
Greggz, the color of that Barclaya is absolutely stunning!
I just got myself one of those because of your photos!

A couple of questions
How fast does it grow?
And how big does it get? Has yours reached the maximum size?
Barclaya is an interesting one.

Does not like to be moved around, especially tank to tank. Many times have seen it stunt/stall for weeks/months when going into a new environment. So patience is a must.

But once it gets going, it is a no drama steady fairly quick grower. Mine is about full sized now. Leaves are about 15" long. Every so often I pull off two of three of the longest leaves or it could get out of control. Due to it's placement in the tank, I also pull off leaves that would grow out toward the front glass, giving it the effect of fanning back into the tank.

When you do pull it up, over time there will be numerous smaller bulbs attached to the the main bulb. You can pull these and propagate them. I don't as I just don't have room. Could fill the entire tank with it if I wanted to.

And it really is a striking plant. The color in person is as good as in the pictures.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Barclaya is an interesting one.

Does not like to be moved around, especially tank to tank. Many times have seen it stunt/stall for weeks/months when going into a new environment. So patience is a must.

But once it gets going, it is a no drama steady fairly quick grower. Mine is about full sized now. Leaves are about 15" long. Every so often I pull off two of three of the longest leaves or it could get out of control. Due to it's placement in the tank, I also pull off leaves that would grow out toward the front glass, giving it the effect of fanning back into the tank.

When you do pull it up, over time there will be numerous smaller bulbs attached to the the main bulb. You can pull these and propagate them. I don't as I just don't have room. Could fill the entire tank with it if I wanted to.

And it really is a striking plant. The color in person is as good as in the pictures.
Thanks for the detailed answer.
Sounds like a big plant, hopefully it may work as a midground plant in my tank. I really like its color and texture in your tank.
Mine is still a baby plant. The leaves look like crypt’s for now but the color is blood red already.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,534
I haven’t made a video of my tank for a while, so thought it was about time.

I consider mine a fish tank with plants. With still photos you really don’t get the sense of the movement, which is a big reason why I like to relax sitting in front of the tank.

Funny I keep waiting for the tank to be “finished” before I shoot a video. I always have a vision in my mind of what it will look like when I get everything to peak at the same time and how I want it. Beginning to realize that will never happen.

Always something that could be better or can be improved. So here is two minutes from earlier tonight (be sure to watch in HD).

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,536
GZ that is looking so great! First suggestion after I watched this (did rewind a few times...) was this earlier gem. Your progress is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy4kdCiyfCc
Yep that was before I went high tech and was the first video I posted.

Funny thing is that video has 156K views. I can't tell you how many Rainbow keepers have reached out over the years and said they watched that video and it got them into Rainbow fish hobby.

A LOT has changed since then.

·
Captain
3,614 Posts
Wow Gregg, a lot has changed since you moved up to the high tech world. At first I was very surprised at your tanks progress... then the wife reminded me of how far our tank has come, LOL.
Although one thing has not changed in all your years of planted tanks - the bows are still beautiful.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,538 (Edited)
Wow Gregg, a lot has changed since you moved up to the high tech world. At first I was very surprised at your tanks progress... then the wife reminded me of how far our tank has come, LOL.
Although one thing has not changed in all your years of planted tanks - the bows are still beautiful.
Yeah Linn it's been quite a journey.

When I first got started I knew nothing.

Now I know just a tiny bit more than nothing!!:grin2:

But that doesn't stop me.....I keep pressing on!

And yes, the Bows are a big part of the equation for me too.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yeah Linn it's been quite a journey.

When I first got started I knew nothing.

Now I know just a tiny bit more than nothing!!:grin2:

But that doesn't stop.....I keep pressing on!

And yes, the Bows are a big part of the equation for me too.
I know what you mean. I have friends that got into the hobby too, and they're always treating me like some kind of guru. I don't view myself as anything more than a beginner who's done some reading and experiments. Always asking questions and seeking to learn. What people have in their heads is extremely valuable.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Captain
3,614 Posts
I know what you mean. I have friends that got into the hobby too, and they're always treating me like some kind of guru. I don't view myself as anything more than a beginner who's done some reading and experiments. Always asking questions and seeking to learn. What people have in their heads is extremely valuable.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Agree 100%

3521 - 3540 of 3728 Posts