The Planted Tank Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 3764 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,001
Even with all that said on my 75g I've spent $1,308 with $275 left to spend on fish + shipping.

So yes, unless you want to look back and be shocked like me, and somewhat sad, don't do that.
Your Honor, at this time I would admit exhibit A.

I think that's case closed on why you NEVER add it up!!:grin2:

And I do go along with there are worse/more costly hobbies. Ask me how I know??

Brings to mind another addition to the Pro Tips.

I never joined a forum that didn't end up costing me more than I ever imagined. It's a great way to create an urgent need to buy things that you otherwise would have never heard of or considered an urgent need!:wink2:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Here is another fun fact, buried deep in your amazon account is the ability to download a spreadsheet with every purchase you've ever made, and then you can sum the total. MUCH FUN in that. :|
I just found this after seeing your post. Out of curiosity I did my entire history of Amazon and found since 2011 I've spent$17k with Amazon! OMG LOL No wonder my Visa doesn't like me! LOL

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I just found this after seeing your post. Out of curiosity I did my entire history of Amazon and found since 2011 I've spent$17k with Amazon! OMG LOL No wonder my Visa doesn't like me! LOL
There is no way I can do this... yikes...

Okay lets be honest I'll do it tonight. Thanks friends... ha!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I haven't done it in about two years, but it's a... large number.

I didn't join a forum for any of it, but my smart home is a google home, two minis, a wink hub, two schlage locks, and about a dozen z-wave switches. I have a few other smart devices that operate independently of the main system. I LOVE the setup I have, and it adds up, but once it's all setup properly it really pays off.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I haven't done it in about two years, but it's a... large number.

I didn't join a forum for any of it, but my smart home is a google home, two minis, a wink hub, two schlage locks, and about a dozen z-wave switches. I have a few other smart devices that operate independently of the main system. I LOVE the setup I have, and it adds up, but once it's all setup properly it really pays off.
Yup, similar to mine. Echo in every room that controls everything, almost littleally... and as many have seen it controls the aquariums too! Haha

Nothing better then having two hobbies intersect!

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Fab that is a very kind thing to say.

Truth is I am just like anybody else here, stumbling along stubbing my toe every once in a while, just trying my best to improve. Still more questions than answers, and still much to learn.

But it's a good time to mention something I have been thinking about lately.

I am very impressed by the increasing number of really high quality tanks here. It seems more and more keep popping up on a regular basis, and it really catches my attention. When I got started, I don't remember seeing nearly as many as now. Makes everyone keep stepping up their game.

IMO, it makes the hobby that much more enjoyable sharing the journey with a bunch of like minded folks. I am constantly impressed with the willingness of so many here to share their experience and help others. There is a spirit of encouragement and contributing to the common good that builds a real sense of community.

And that is a good thing to see.

P.S. Fab you should start a journal here too. I think many would really enjoy seeing your tank, and hearing about your experiences.
I agree with you Greg, I have been following these forums for the past 10 years but only in the past 1-2 years I am seeing such high-level tanks. Agree 100%.

And yes, I was also thinking to start my journal on this forum as well. I'll do it.... thanks for the extra-push, sometime I need it! :smile2:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
@fablau: That would be great it you could start a Tank Journal here at the TPT. Plus it'd be much easier for me as I wouldn't have to sneak over to the Barr Report to look at your journal! BTW, you tank is beautiful, your recently posted Barr Report journal photos are very impressive, you've done a great job with your tank!

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
@fablau: That would be great it you could start a Tank Journal here at the TPT. Plus it'd be much easier for me as I wouldn't have to sneak over to the Barr Report to look at your journal! BTW, you tank is beautiful, your recently posted Barr Report journal photos are very impressive, you've done a great job with your tank!
Thank you so much, appreciated!

I'll start with my next update! :wink2:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,011
Have received some PM's asking about plant species in my tank.

So haven't done this in a while, but here is current set up labeled. I remember when I got started I used to love when people did this, so hopefully it helps someone out there.

1 Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'
2 Limnophila Aromatica "Mini"
3 Bacopa Colorata
4 Rotala macrandra variegated
5 Ludwigia Inclinata Pantanal
6 Hygrophila Corymbosa Compact
7 Limnophila Indica (Ambulia)
8 Blyxa Japonica
9 Pogostemon Kimberley
10 Lagenandra Meeboldii Chocolate
11 Ludwigia Sp. Rubin
12 Eriocaulon 'Vietnam'
13 Myriophyllum Red Stem
14 Limnophila Rugosa
15 Pogostemon Helferi
16 Cabomba Furcata
18 Floscopa India
19 Hyptis Lorentziana
20 Mayaca Fluviatilis
21 Lobelia Cardinalis "small form"

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,013
very nice Gregg, thanks for sharing that. And wow, you are DOWN to 21 species? I am impressed... HA!
Yeah well at the peak of my collectoritis disease I was up around 30 or so. And really, it was TOO much. Joe was right.

Could still pair down a bit, but I am not fully cured yet.

And here, this shot is just for you...............................

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Have received some PM's asking about plant species in my tank.

So haven't done this in a while, but here is current set up labeled. I remember when I got started I used to love when people did this, so hopefully it helps someone out there.

1 Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'
2 Limnophila Aromatica "Mini"
3 Bacopa Colorata
4 Rotala macrandra variegated
5 Ludwigia Inclinata Pantanal
6 Hygrophila Corymbosa Compact
7 Limnophila Indica (Ambulia)
8 Blyxa Japonica
9 Pogostemon Kimberley
10 Lagenandra Meeboldii Chocolate
11 Ludwigia Sp. Rubin
12 Eriocaulon 'Vietnam'
13 Myriophyllum Red Stem
14 Limnophila Rugosa
15 Pogostemon Helferi
16 Cabomba Furcata
18 Floscopa India
19 Hyptis Lorentziana
20 Mayaca Fluviatilis
21 Lobelia Cardinalis "small form"
Thank you for doing this @ Greggs.
You are correct, this helps immensely in identifying plants for those who are learning. Its amazing how different the plant looks inside and outside water and this helps those who are learning to connect them. Also, it is an excellent example of placement. Placement for you, Im sure, doesn't take much thought because you have experience in how they will grow. For me, it is trial and much error.
Also, look at the masterful way you combine color and texture for maximum impact. It is really something.

You know, I was a floral designer for 18 years before I went back to college. I can tell, without a doubt, you would be an excellent designer of cut greens and flowers. :)

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,015
Thank you for doing this @ Greggs.
You are correct, this helps immensely in identifying plants for those who are learning. Its amazing how different the plant looks inside and outside water and this helps those who are learning to connect them. Also, it is an excellent example of placement. Placement for you, Im sure, doesn't take much thought because you have experience in how they will grow. For me, it is trial and much error.
Also, look at the masterful way you combine color and texture for maximum impact. It is really something.

You know, I was a floral designer for 18 years before I went back to college. I can tell, without a doubt, you would be an excellent designer of cut greens and flowers. :)
Well that is a very kind thing to say.

Especially since I really don't have much of a clue of what I am doing. I just know if my wife makes a nice comment, well, I've pretty much hit my goal.

And I'm envious of you who made the effort to meet this weekend. I heard from Ken and he said it was a great experience, and was well worth the time.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
Im curious how the most effective aquascapers would rate the percentage of this hobby as "skills that are learned in time" ( the balancing of light, fertilizers, co2, knowledge of plants and growth, etc...) relative to "an innate creativity that is brought with you" ( innate creativity).

Would they say it is 80% learning of skills and 20% artistic creativity? Some other percentage?

I think that some, no matter how much they learn of color and texture, can never create it ( but, can only mimic it).
I see the artistry in aquascaping, but it is the skills that are complicating it for me.
The complexities of the hobby: light and fertilizing. These two things are very complex.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
"skills that are learned in time" (knowledge of plants and growth, etc...)
The CO2, PAR, and fert levels can all be put @ a constant value.
Provide enough to keep most of them happy, but experiencing many species of plants takes time, like years.

Many species I've sold off I wish I had kept a sample of in the "Catch All" tank.
I'd be growing them again! >:)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Many species I've sold off I wish I had kept a sample of in the "Catch All" tank.

I'd be growing them again! >:)
Greggz, where is your catch all resealed tank at?! Still waiting sir!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,020
Im curious how the most effective aquascapers would rate the percentage of this hobby as "skills that are learned in time" ( the balancing of light, fertilizers, co2, knowledge of plants and growth, etc...) relative to "an innate creativity that is brought with you" ( innate creativity).

Would they say it is 80% learning of skills and 20% artistic creativity? Some other percentage?

I think that some, no matter how much they learn of color and texture, can never create it ( but, can only mimic it).
I see the artistry in aquascaping, but it is the skills that are complicating it for me.
The complexities of the hobby: light and fertilizing. These two things are very complex.
Great post!

First thought is what constitutes an effective aquascaper? It all depends on what pleases your eye. We could all be the worst or best depending on who is evaluating.

Now the "skills that are learned in time" is very relevant. It always helps to start with good subject matter. And as we all know, that is a trick in itself. This forum is a tribute to that.

And as to complexity, I don't think there is any way around that. It's never an easy puzzle to solve. And it takes time. A long time for me. And I am still learning, and still experimenting.

But I will give you one underlying principal that has served me well over the years. It even has it's own acronym.................................WWBD..........or "what would @burr740 do??".:wink2::wink2:

Trust me, it has helped me more than anything else during this journey.

Bump:
Greggz, where is your catch all resealed tank at?! Still waiting sir!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Geez you guys around here have got a very good memory.

Is there a way to erase your old post????

And thanks for the kick in the pants. I am going to evaluate this situation this weekend.

2001 - 2020 of 3764 Posts