The Planted Tank Forum banner
4001 - 4014 of 4014 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
If dosed four days per week as recommended APT complete provides 6 ppm NO3, 2.8 ppm PO4, 16 ppm K, and 0.12 Fe as proxy for micros.

I don't dose micros with accumulation in mind. In general they are available for a shorter period of time so I dose them daily. Right now my recipe is based on about 0.40 Fe weekly from DTPA and I also throw in a bit of Fe gluc. But again I am dosing half that right now so 0.20 Fe. Once my gluc runs out will probably not add it any more. Honestly did not see much difference if any.

Curious what level of Fe micros was @gjcarew at??
.47 per week, dosing twice per week. I told @Mmiller2001 you're the guy to ask about fertilization because I am not good about tracking dosing and accumulation.

I don't know how I settled on that amount. I think I may have just been making a Thrive+ clone.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,002 ·
.47 per week, dosing twice per week. I told @Mmiller2001 you're the guy to ask about fertilization because I am not good about tracking dosing and accumulation.

I don't know how I settled on that amount. I think I may have just been making a Thrive+ clone.
You may know that at one time standard EI dosing was 5.00 ppm Fe per week. About 3 or 4 years ago there was a group debating this (including Tom Barr). The consensus was to lower the amount to 2.00 per week.

Many of the best tanks I follow are in the 0.4 to 0.6 range. But I also know several who are in the 0.1 to 0.2 range and can really grow plants well. That's what has led me to try going even lower with micros, really just to see if there is a lower floor where the tank rebels.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You may know that at one time standard EI dosing was 5.00 ppm Fe per week. About 3 or 4 years ago there was a group debating this (including Tom Barr). The consensus was to lower the amount to 2.00 per week.

Many of the best tanks I follow are in the 0.4 to 0.6 range. But I also know several who are in the 0.1 to 0.2 range and can really grow plants well. That's what has led me to try going even lower with micros, really just to see if there is a lower floor where the tank rebels.
I'm looking forward to the results!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's the latest. In addition I have been dosing micros at about half this amount for about three weeks now. No conclusions yet just wanted to see what if any effect it would have.

I've been weaning the numbers down to get pretty similar to APT Complete. So far so good but plants take time to adjust and it takes a while to really understand what is happening. Patience is a virtue in this hobby.

View attachment 1035857
Greggz, where do you get such a sheet to apply to your tank?

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,005 ·
Greggz, where do you get such a sheet to apply to your tank?
Hello Baylum you can download it at the link below. I have been sharing it freely for years. Anyone can use it and modify it to suit their needs.

Anytime I make a change I date it and take a screen shot. So I can look back and see what I was doing at any point in time. I also track lots of others things (water changes, filter cleanings, PAR levels, etc).

Most people do not keep good records. That can doom you to repeat the same mistakes over and over.

GreggZ Shared Files

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,006 · (Edited)
When I started this hobby, I never considered where it might lead. Turns out it has been quite a journey.

As some of you may know, I have been keeping Rainbowfish for decades, and have been active with both the Rainbowfish and planted tank communities for some time. Recently I was contacted by Aquarium Hobbyist Magazine to provide a short profile of my Rainbowfish planted tank. It was a fun experience, and I am always glad to promote both hobbies. For those that are interested the article was just published in their Q1 2022 issue.

Plant Green Botany Flower Bird

·
Registered
618 Posts
Very cool. Now that I've joined the big tank club I'm definitely thinking of rainbows. A few I'm looking at are melanotaenia trifasciata, melanotaenia macullochi, and melanotaenia rubrivittata. Any suggestions on beginner level, colorful, small(ish) rainbows?

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,010 · (Edited)
Very cool. Now that I've joined the big tank club I'm definitely thinking of rainbows. A few I'm looking at are melanotaenia trifasciata, melanotaenia macullochi, and melanotaenia rubrivittata. Any suggestions on beginner level, colorful, small(ish) rainbows?
Rainbows are easy fish to care for. There are so many available it really is hard to narrow down.

What size is the new tank? Anything 4' or longer is good for all Bows. At 3' or less you really need to stick with some smaller species.

One of the keys is starting with good stock. When you get ready let me know and we can get into more detail.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,014 ·
Can't think of anyone more worthy to write an article for hobbyists based on your accomplishments and helping others accomplish. Congrats!!!
Thank you my friend!

I'm not even sure how they found me. But when they did I was happy to participate. The reaction from folks I know has reinforced the sense of community I think helps make this hobby so enjoyable.

4001 - 4014 of 4014 Posts