The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bothers me. I've relied on Greg's ferts for awhile. Haven't had a tank up in 4 mo. due to a move and now I catch a thread saying that its under new ownership, prices are jacked up, as well as shipping/tracking and customer service complaints. Whats the deal.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Whats the deal.
We'll all just have to wait and see. New Ownership can be the Best or the worst for a business' customers. But Greg definitely leaves a Hard Act to Follow......

I am hoping for the Best for everyone. But again:

We'll all just have to wait and see. :thumbsup:

Side Note: Greg, I believe, did it more as a Hobby-Based Business. The Price increases could simply be a sign that the new owner intends to approach it as a Business-Based Business. Maybe the price increases are necessary for that. I don't know either way--just some thoughts....:thumbsup:

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
This bothers me. I've relied on Greg's ferts for awhile. Haven't had a tank up in 4 mo. due to a move and now I catch a thread saying that its under new ownership, prices are jacked up, as well as shipping/tracking and customer service complaints. Whats the deal.
are you really complaining about these "jacked up" prices? are you serious?

$3 for a lb of kno3 is hardly highway robbery.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So far IME their customer service is great. I ordered KNO3, K2SO4, and GH Booster. I received it in about 2 to 3 days but the KNO3 was replaced with KH2PO4. I sent them an email the next day and their response was "I am shipping out the KNO3 today, you don't need to do anything else. Thank you for your business."

I will be sending them a payment for the KH2PO4 anyway, but they basically told me to just keep it and sorry for the inconvenience.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
are you really complaining about these "jacked up" prices? are you serious?

$3 for a lb of kno3 is hardly highway robbery.
Again: That initial post isn't just about the prices--Its about the overall picture! Reread the post--its not just about the prices. Ultimately we (the customers) are in limbo about whats going on--Overall. Big Picture. But Price and Shipping increases are pieces of information that we do have.

In another post I stated that my last order was +/-$32 for 8 lbs of Good Shipped. I don't have the paper work--because I don't need it. But I do know what I ordered--and why. So, let's say that my $$ amount is off: I can assure You that the shipped cost was not more than $36. So, for the exact same order that I placed earlier this yr--its now $12 more shipped. Instead of +/-$35--- its now +/-$50. This is only April.

Cost increases are facts that we do have. The rest is subject to interpretation---IMO.

HTH

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
So far IME their customer service is great. I ordered KNO3, K2SO4, and GH Booster. I received it in about 2 to 3 days but the KNO3 was replaced with KH2PO4. I sent them an email the next day and their response was "I am shipping out the KNO3 today, you don't need to do anything else. Thank you for your business."

I will be sending them a payment for the KH2PO4 anyway, but they basically told me to just keep it and sorry for the inconvenience.

-Scott
Mistakes Happen. Sounds Good and I hope to hear more positive things like this.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I posted that based on information on another thread. Word of mouth is everything, its what got greg off the ground, and even popularized EI. I was relaying how I felt about what I'd read. Its hard to find the IMPECCABLE customer service that greg provided, and with the expense we pay already for equipment, and the time and effort many put into their little slice of aquatic heaven, price is always an issue. I have more of an issue with that because of the sudden shift in price, its a bit of a curiosity that they would go up so quickly after the business transferred. Its also hard because who knows the level of commitment the new ownership will invest, as many have said "thats a hard act to follow".

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The price increases are not that much. It's no big deal. If I were the guy, my reply to the complaints about these slight increases would be "feel free not to purchase."
O.K. I'll give you that, I just hope It doesn't also mean "feel free not to expect the same service you appreciated so much".

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its also kind of like how you feel when baskin robbins replaces your favorite mom and pop ice cream stand.:icon_conf

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Again: That initial post isn't just about the prices--Its about the overall picture! Reread the post--its not just about the prices.
I'm not sure what this whole "big picture" thing is all about. If I want say some KNO3, I place an order for some, I pay a fair price, then I get it within 5-10 business days. Sounds so far like the new owner is doing this. What more of the "picture" does the end customer need to be concerned with? :confused:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure what this whole "big picture" thing is all about. If I want say some KNO3, I place an order for some, I pay a fair price, then I get it within 5-10 business days. Sounds so far like the new owner is doing this. What more of the "picture" does the end customer need to be concerned with?
You sound like a businessman, (don't take that wrong, I'm interesting in this thread staying civilized)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'm not sure what this whole "big picture" thing is all about. If I want say some KNO3, I place an order for some, I pay a fair price, then I get it within 5-10 business days. Sounds so far like the new owner is doing this. What more of the "picture" does the end customer need to be concerned with? :confused:
Apparently the original poster was not holding your same perspective, and neither was I 24hrs ago--and to some degree I was and still am in "Wait and See" mode.

I was receiving my orders in 2-4 days. Now I can expect 4+ days from Ca, but that does not reflect upon the present owner--it reflects upon USPS. If it takes anywhere near 10days now--I consider that an degradation in service--unless 9 or more of those 10 days is entirely in USPS' hands.

During this "Witch Hunt" the claim was made of a lack of communication. Since then at least 1 claim (maybe more) has been made of Good Customer Service and Communication. Good Customer Service is part of that Big Picture, as is Bad Customer Service. Many variables.

I think the Best testament is that over the last couple of months we haven't been seeing post about: "What's Up With Greg Watson?" The new owner has been running things smoothly enough that we haven't really noticed a change in ownership--That's a Good Thing!

You know as well as I do what the Big Picture is, but even a terrible owner/manager gets some things (orders) right. Doesn't make them Good at what they do. Maybe You got Lucky--Maybe You didn't. The whole point is Limbo.

I missed that Mind Reading Course. So, without information--I have to take what I have and assume the rest--Good or Bad--that's how it works. Its human nature.

We don't have a whole lot of options for Bulk Dry ferts, so there is/was no need to keep ownership transfer a secret. But I said it before and I'll say it again: Maybe Alan is just using this time to get his ducks in a row. I don't know what Alan's life is like--before or after taking ownership. Maybe he need some time to clear some other things out of the way--maybe not. Maybe he just needs some time to get all aspects of his life organized to include this new venture. Maybe he's taking a crash course on website design and marketing. I don't know. Why?

Because I missed that Mind Reading Course......:thumbsup:

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
when im buying a prodcut that is essentially salt, im not loooking for a pretty website, or a cordial thank you when i spend my 3 dollars, in fact i don't even want a smile in return, just the product at the price i agreed to pay.

how the appearance of the website is a turn-off to some people is truly a testament to how visually oriented we have all beccome. i don't care in this case, its an online vendor selling SALT! how pretty should the website be? need some flowers? or how about some music in the background with someone just audibly whispering, "your plants are going to be fine" over and over again.....

as far as how important this website is to the hobby, and the "bigger picture", i think people have become far too reliant on others to supply what they need. as someone else has mentioned, gregwatson.com was not the only place you coud find bulk ferts, but it was almost idiot proof.

so now, if you don't like the new website, or "jacked up" prices, go somewhere else and spend your 10 dollars.... keep in mind, your not gonna be breaking your bank, or making anyone else rich in this transaction.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.