The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Flourish Ferts for a long time now
I'm sick of their prices, especially now that I'm planning
a rather large upgrade to my tank and you could call me cheap...

Greg Watson Ferts. are dirt cheap compared to Flourish, and I've heard they're good.
I've been reading online that there are 3 basic mixtures you should use, KNO3, KH2PO4 and CSM+B.
I am not sure on this, it is only what my research has showed, so any input would be great.
If I'm missing anything there, or if there is something I don't need there,
or if there is a redundancy of some sort please tell me!

Ok... the second part. I read that these fertilizers need to be used with the EI method, please someone explain?
I have no idea what it is, or how it works. Except for that it is a fert method, lol :hihi:

Specs - 29 Gallon, 4.5 wpg, Filstar XP2, Pres. CO2, Iwagumi (HC, Eleocharis acicularis)

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You don't have to use dry ferts with the EI method. You can adapt them to most any method you want.

The EI method is nice because you don't have to mess with test kits.

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, basically for EI, you dose pretty heavily for a week straight,
then take out 50% of the water, Repeat?

Are all of the Minerals Wolf posted necessary, or are there any I can skip?
EDIT: I'm going to skip iron for now...

REX GRIGG - I like the price and ease of your combo pack...

·
Registered
845 Posts
I don't use the K2SO4 or CSM+B

I just dose dry ferts-KNO3 and KH2PO4, liquid Seachem Flourish and Seachem Flourish Iron. Oh yeah, Excel too since I don't have CO2 yet. Works great for me.

Dose per tank volume on the EI method. Watch your plants and then fine tune your dosin regime. It's that easy.

Yes, you are basically supplying your tank with ferts for the whole week, then taking out 50%+ water, then starting back from scratch.

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice!! Sounds effective and easy :flick:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been using the EI method. However, instead of buying CSM+B i have been using seachem flourish. Is this the equivalent?

·
Registered
803 Posts
So, basically for EI, you dose pretty heavily for a week straight,
then take out 50% of the water, Repeat?
That's the way I understand it. I haven't done it yet, but have read extensively about it this past month or two and am just about ready to start (I ordered Greg's combo pack and it'll be here soon.). What I've read says that you do the big water change to go back to square one so you'll have little or no ferts in the water just in case you overdosed anything. Dose the regimen again for a week and do the water change ("erase" what you did in case it's too much), dose again ~ rinse, repeat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts