The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to drop a line and say hello. I've been lurking on the forums for awhile, reading threads, journals, and basically trying to absorb as much information as possible to make educated decisions.

I found this site after recently investing in a seaclear 46G bowfront when it was decided the tank was going to be a 1st journey into minor planting. In hindsight, it would have been significantly cheaper had I found this site first, then decided to journey into planting a tank :).

Anyway, here's the tank. I still have a lot to learn (as fast I can), so please be gentle!

Before anyone jumps me on overstocking...yes I know the tank is overstocked with goldfish. I setup the tank based on books/articles/advice that was outdated. As such, these fish will eventually move to a larger tank in a year or so. We currently have 2 Black Moors, a Calico, a Oranda, and a Ryukin. (Darth, Vader, Ember, Fin, and Koi). Next tank will most likely be in the 120ish range.

The tank is on it's second lighting setup. First setup was 2x20 watt's in the silly hood the seaclear came with...no reflectors, poor light penetration. After reading forums, I purchased a 96watt AHsupply in a 36 cabinet...the light difference was absurd. Like going from SD to HD lighting.

Filtration is an Aquaclear 70, and an Aquaclear 50. Each has 2x mechanical sponges, with 1x biological, with the 70 also having a polishing filter that isn't always in use. (I wanted to fit 2x70's, but no room in the seaclear).

Heater is a fluval 200watt, set at 74F

Plants are...
3x swords
2xAnacharis (grow just fast enough that the fish can't eat them to oblivion...yet)

2x water sprite
2x moss balls (you can't see the new one cause it was just added).

Substrate is....normal gravel...

Plants have iron tabs, and flourish, along with some random bottle of stuff from petco with trace elements.

Anyway that's our tank. Upcoming purchases are a few nerite snails to help with some algae growth. (Most likely due to elevated phosphates). If anyone has any advice on those, I'd appreciate it. The web is full of conflicting data in regards to setting up tanks, livestock, etc. I'm planning about 4-8 snails.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

I think that's a great first planted tank! :icon_mrgr

Your elevated phosphates are likely coming from the goldfish; they're poop factories like no other fish. You should probably also check your tap water, but you'll need to maintain a hefty water change regimen to keep up with their metabolisms.

You may even want to slim down your gravel bed some, since in a goldfish tank gravel just collects poop. Many planted goldfish tanks I've seen end up only keeping plants in pots and plants that will grow on hardscape (mosses, java ferns, anubias, etc), with barely any substrate at all (if any), simply to reduce maintenance over time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome! Currently I'm doing water changes while siphoning with a gravel vacuum, which helps to pick up a lot of the fish trash and keep the gravel cycling. Doing about 10% changes one week, then 25% the other week. So far everything's looking really good, latest tests have everything in the green. (Don't have a phosphate tester though).

I think it definitely helps that I have two aquaclears running at roughly 200 gph each. Now if I could just find some nerite snails locally.... It's dropping below 30F here in MD right now, which means I'd have to next day air the snails...and I only want a few! Bit silly to spend 12 dollars on snails and nearly 28 dollars to ship them :).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.