The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've been wanting to start a planted 75 gal and I keep having problems with green water. I did the whole thing, 15-25% water changes every other day, less feedings, gravel vac. my ammonia is still at 0.25 (has been for a while no matter what I do) and my nitrates are at 5ppm, my nitrite is at 0ppm and my ph is around 7.2 if that matters. My temp is at around 75f and my filter is a aquaclear 500.

The tank I bought came with 5 fish and a peruvian apple snail ( giant snail ).

My tank has been like this for almost 2 months now! My sand is as clean as it can be, there's no dead fish, I havent been disturbing the cycle too much, the only thing I can think of being weird is how low my nitrates are.

If anyone has some extra tips I'd love to hear it, I heard there's a product that clears "all kinds of clouding" but I doubt it actually fixes the problem.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
For the ammonia issue, try looking at the test tubes in sunlight, even overcast sunlight. It really makes it very clear whether you have ammonia or not.

For the green water, buy a UV filter. Set it on low and let it do its thing. I bought the green killing machine from my local Petco, the quality of that thing is absolutely horrible, so I can't really recommend it per se. But undeniably it did work for me several times when I needed it.

·
Banned
628 Posts
That's so strange. I wonder if it's a lack of plants. You say you've been wanting to start a planted tank? Do you have the plants? What kind of substrate do you have? Just sand? Where is the Ammonia coming from? Your Nitrate is indeed low. Have you been adding Nitrate like a miser or just not adding it? What else do you put in? I feel like you know what you're doing based on all the water changes you've been doing and how clean things are. The UV filter will knock this out. Let us know how it goes. I wouldn't trust that product if I were you. It's probably too good to be true.

·
Registered
323 Posts
ammonia reading @ 0.25 could just be your test kit, or the lighting you are looking at it under.

If you know someone with daphnia, or have access to some locally.. they'll clear up that green water :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts