The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm about a month into my first planted tank and I've been having a problem with some green water. I doubt the cause is lack of filtration because I'm running two 20-30 gal HOB filters (no carbon of course) and it's a 20 gal tank. It's heavily planted and there's quite a bit of algae. I dose with flourish and flourish excel along with root tabs. The water makes my tank a bit unappealing. There's at least 100 cyclops on the back wall too. I'm wondering if anyone else has/had the same problem and if there's a cause/fix? Are chemical water-clearers recommended and will they hurt my plants and shrimp? Thanks guys! Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What lighting and how long of a photo period are you using?
I'm running a 28 watt Aqueon 24" T5 dual lamp fixture with one 6,700K and one colormax bulb. It's not on a timer so the time it's on is a little different each day. I'd say at an average of 11 hours.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Walmart...timer...$6.99...7.5-8 hrs per day if no DIY or injected CO2.
Also what size tank is it ?

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
11 hours is a lot. You can pump all the CO2 in the world and still get algae with an 11 hour photoperiod. Bump that thing down to 8.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Search aquarium green water

v3

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Hello, I'm about a month into my first planted tank and I've been having a problem with some green water. I doubt the cause is lack of filtration because I'm running two 20-30 gal HOB filters (no carbon of course) and it's a 20 gal tank. It's heavily planted and there's quite a bit of algae. I dose with flourish and flourish excel along with root tabs. The water makes my tank a bit unappealing. There's at least 100 cyclops on the back wall too. I'm wondering if anyone else has/had the same problem and if there's a cause/fix? Are chemical water-clearers recommended and will they hurt my plants and shrimp? Thanks guys! Any help is appreciated.
I had that problem once a long long time ago. Easy remedy. You need a diatomaceous earth filter. A UV light also works. Daphnia by themselves also work. They will eat the alga.

I always tell folks this. Filters aren't needed on heavily planted tanks, plants do an superior job at filtering.

·
Registered
No tank right now :( :( :(
3,329 Posts
Your photoperiod is way too long - especially w/o CO2.

Get a timer and start at 7-8 hours - they are crucial.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ammonia + high light triggers green water. UV sterilizers solves it immediately, but doesn't solve the cause. Can try increasing plant load, or reducing bioload/photo-period
Yes I've read that uv sterilizers do a great job! But they're a bit pricy, do you have any recommendations that won't break the bank? And a lot of leaves melted the first couple weeks so there is quite a bit of detritus and mulm on the substrate and leaves. I increased the current a bit to get that stuff off the leaves and it helped. I do see my RCS munching on the stuff. I would vacuum it up but I'm afraid I'll suck up the baby shrimp! My ammonia levels are unknown because the tests were way more expensive than the pH, nitrate, etc... tests (which these parameters are all perfect in my tank by the way). I'll go buy some ammonia tests ASAP along with a timer for my lights. There's no room really for any more plants. Thanks for the response!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts