The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all know that shrimp eat algae.

So, would the addition of green water, a free-floating algae, be beneficial to shrimp tanks in order to increase the population?

Exactly like culturing green water to culture daphnia as fish food...but can we apply the same concept to shrimp tanks? Of course, a whole lot of green water wouldn't be too pretty to look at, but maybe a few spoonfuls of GW per day?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I don't think it would do much unless it was target fed to FF shrimp. Now keeping them in full fledged GW will probably Have better healthier shrimp but I haven't tested it yet, But I deffinatly could sometime I'm not going to be around much (Summer).

I'll answer better later...

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
I'll answer better later...

-Andrew
The top goldfish breeders and Arrowana breeders also use GW. But they use it for a different purpose. With GW the oxygen saturation in the water is MUCH higher than normal clean water. So it helps them keep better water quality. It also seems like they get some food from the water like you where saying. But I think for this to actually have any affect it would have to be a full tank of the worst pea soup you can imagine (or have seen, like me:hihi: ) so that they're always getting some like it or not. Adding small amounts probably wouldn't have a noticeable difference because the dilution of the GW would be so great it would be no different than say you adding nothing.

Another better analogy would be if you had a gallon of water. Then you take a spoonful or two of Green Gatorade. I would probably taste really bad since it was so watery. Now I'm guessing that your tank is at least 5g or larger, its a 40g? I can't remember what it is specifically I'm not that good. But anyways. Take that amount of water. Then add say Gatorade in the amount you would add GW. You wouldn't even be able to taste it or get much out of it. Now take the same amount and get some of that good Gatorade sugar mix! But instead of making it normal, Do what I like to do and make it strong! NOW you're really getting something out of it!

Hopefully my pitiful example worked:icon_twis

-Andrew

·
Registered
889 Posts
The top goldfish breeders and Arrowana breeders also use GW. But they use it for a different purpose. With GW the oxygen saturation in the water is MUCH higher than normal clean water. So it helps them keep better water quality. It also seems like they get some food from the water like you where saying. But I think for this to actually have any affect it would have to be a full tank of the worst pea soup you can imagine (or have seen, like me:hihi: ) so that they're always getting some like it or not. Adding small amounts probably wouldn't have a noticeable difference because the dilution of the GW would be so great it would be no different than say you adding nothing.

Another better analogy would be if you had a gallon of water. Then you take a spoonful or two of Green Gatorade. I would probably taste really bad since it was so watery. Now I'm guessing that your tank is at least 5g or larger, its a 40g? I can't remember what it is specifically I'm not that good. But anyways. Take that amount of water. Then add say Gatorade in the amount you would add GW. You wouldn't even be able to taste it or get much out of it. Now take the same amount and get some of that good Gatorade sugar mix! But instead of making it normal, Do what I like to do and make it strong! NOW you're really getting something out of it!

Hopefully my pitiful example worked:icon_twis

-Andrew
Haha nice exaple and interesting stuff. But this is my advice:

Don't store your GW in green Gatorade bottles ;)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
My shrimp breeding tank is 5.5 gallons. I wouldn't add GW to my 40 gallon display tank. ;)
Ohh, Well you know what I meant though:hihi:

Green Gatorade bottles? All mine are clear...

It is surprising how Miracle grow looks like lemon lime flavor though...

-Andrew

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ohh, Well you know what I meant though:hihi:

Green Gatorade bottles? All mine are clear...

It is surprising how Miracle grow looks like lemon lime flavor though...

-Andrew
I didn't mean the bottles color, I meant the actual Gatorade's color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts