2.7w/g t5ho
pressurized co2 w/ drop check
Inert white sand
25x root medic tabs
16 pumps root medic macro; (4x wk)
16 pumps root medic macro; (2x wk)
Heavily planted
8hrs light/day

Before the ferts, the water was clear for several months. But the plants were not growing very well. Once the ferts started, it was great for a while.. The plant are growing like mad.

But now, daily water changes won't keep the water clear. I stopped fert & turned lights off for a week. Didn't work. Lights and ferts schedule are now back to normal.

Last water change was Saturday, tonights params are 0ammo, 0nitrites, 20ppm nitrate, 0phosphate.

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
80g high tech planted (2.7w/g t5ho, pressured co2, EI ferts)
Bare-bottom Discus growth tank w/ 8 juvies
Angelfish breeder

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
An appropriately sized UV sterilizer will kill the green water. By the way, you need 1 to 2 ppm Phosphate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to avoid the UV this time... I want to solve the problem naturally.

I know I need 1ppm+ phosphate. That was what I was hunting with the heavy ferts. I had to put in 16x squirts 5x week to read 1ppm phosphate.

Could it be the nitrate that's feeding the algae? With higher phosphate the plants could eat more nitrate. Could adding more nutrients kill the algae?

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
Bare-bottom Discus growth tank w/ 8 juvies
Angelfish breeder

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not the money; I'd just like to understand what's causing it.

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
90g bare-bottom Discus growth tank w/ 8 juvies
55G bare-bottom tank w/ 7" adult Discus
Angelfish breeder

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
ok to start.. good circulation is KEY here. green water likes to be stagnant.. it hates to be moved

I'd try a more stable fertilizer routine.. high fert levels don't cause green water..
what's ur ammonia at? ammonia easily causes algae
high lumens without good par grows algae.. this is true for when bulbs lose theire spectrum. plants grow fast under high light but grow bushy and healthy under high par.

how old are your bulbs?

edit: i noticed u posted 0 ammo.. so cancel that.. back to daily routine then on ferts.. parameters might be changing a lot

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't say I have good circulation. I'm not sure how to get the bushy plants from flopping and twisting all over when I increase circulation.

My lights are old, maybe 2yrs. All are 6500k.

Neither of those changed recently, that was true on "day one" 5months ago. (Not arguing that I shouldnt fix these issues though.). Just can't imagine they would be a direct cause.

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
Angelfish breeder

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
stems will stop flopping if u trim them and install circulation. they will grow in a little more rigid to compensate.
there is a limit to how much they will.. if u have direct force on them, there is nothing u can do, but a wide current they will grow accustomed to easily

green water IMO is attributed to something with the bacterial cycle in most cases.. i would try increasing circulation before u buy a uv and do a good fertilizer routine over the next two weeks and see what happens

also increase surface agitation or aeration by either bubble stone or pointing a circulation pump upwards a little. this is beneficial to bacteria and plant health and helps water turnover

EDIT: i have a uv which i bought thinking it would be a good idea. i've never needed it, even when i started getting rgeen water 3 weeks ago, it went away on its own. i have high circulation and excellent surface agitation. my biggest cause was an overfull filter floss media tray. replaced with clean floss, and adter bacteria grew in. everythign went away

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I do not recommend doing this but as a last resort it will work. You can get API's algae killer stuff (forget the name) and then after a day or two do a big water change and then do another a couple days after that one and it will be cleared up. I don't like putting chemicals into my tanks but as a last resort it will work. I do prefer a UV though. Good luck with the green water. From my experience it is really hard to solve but once I got rid of it by using a UV it never came back.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stems will stop flopping if u trim them and install circulation. they will grow in a little more rigid to compensate.
there is a limit to how much they will.. if u have direct force on them, there is nothing u can do, but a wide current they will grow accustomed to easily

green water IMO is attributed to something with the bacterial cycle in most cases.. i would try increasing circulation before u buy a uv and do a good fertilizer routine over the next two weeks and see what happens

also increase surface agitation or aeration by either bubble stone or pointing a circulation pump upwards a little. this is beneficial to bacteria and plant health and helps water turnover

EDIT: i have a uv which i bought thinking it would be a good idea. i've never needed it, even when i started getting rgeen water 3 weeks ago, it went away on its own. i have high circulation and excellent surface agitation. my biggest cause was an overfull filter floss media tray. replaced with clean floss, and adter bacteria grew in. everythign went away
Sounds like a good idea. I'll increase water circulation and see what it gets me.

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
Angelfish breeder

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would it clear up?

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
Angelfish breeder

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bought a green mean machine 9w; cleared right up.

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
55g bare-bottom Discus growth tank w/ 7 juvies
Angelfish breeder

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You have 4 T5HO 54 watt bulbs lighting that tank. Unless you have very poor reflectors, or have the light about 3 feet above the substrate, you have very high light, and that will cause any algae to grow very well. So, first you need to reduce the light a lot, then start getting rid of the green water algae. A 2-3 day total blackout, with no peeking, will kill off the algae, so it can be filtered out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.