The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon tank shrimp that I have been cycling. I woke up this morning to a Green Water Algae Bloom. It is not really bad now. Do they get progressively worse?

It has been finished cycling (fishless) for 3 days, and I have been adding a drop or two of ammonia every day since then. It usually takes 1 day for the ammonia to drop back to zero. Nitrite stays at zero. The nitrates are really high, around 80. I was waiting until right before I got my shrimp to do the large water change.

I read that high nitrates could cause algae blooms. Do you think that is the problem? Should I do the large water change now? And then do another right before I get the shrimp?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've read that ammonia is one of the causes of green water. The other is too much light for too many hours.
I second this! Since we supplement Nitrate on a regular basis, we would have green water more often if, Nitrate were one of the causes. Since my tank has been established for a long time, the only time I get green water is if I get carried away uprooting to many plants at one time. It would be better to get your Nitrates below 20 ppm though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am wondering about this , as I have a 10 gallon, bare bottom . It has 6 male guppy and 5 small 2" Bn plecos growing out in it. and thats it !! no plants, no substrate, WHY is it green ??? I do water changes every week. It doesnt have too much lighting. And I am adding NO chemicals, other than prime with a 50% w/c . not meaning to hijack here, just trying to help find this source of green water' . Maybye its a cycle of some sort ? I left in the old' sponge filter, and now I dont have UV, so I added a carbon hob to try' and clean up' the green water ? Im not sure what is off with this one tank . I have 12 others, most are planted, and have never had this happen b4 . Anyway , so large water change ?? what do you guys/gals think ? TY ~~ HTH

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've had green water in the past, and it's no joy. I hate not being able to see my fish and plants. I did many water changes, but, unfortunately water changes never worked.

The only thing that worked was a uv. Since then, my water is crystal clear and it cleared up in about 3 days time. Invest in one, it's worth it. You never know when you might need it.:wink:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, I was doing a lot of re-planting the day before, I heard that might have something to do with it.

I did about a 90% water change two days ago, and rinsed out the filters with water from my 75 gallon tank. It was a little cloudy after the water change, but not green. Now it looks pretty clear. Do you think this thing will come back?

Fingers crossed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts