The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,131 Posts
You mean a UV sterilizer? They typically are plumbed inline, so I'm not quite sure how it will manage to kill baby shrimp (unless they are sucked into the filter, but then you have other problems to worry about!)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Keep in mind that a UV sterilizer just kills the algae, it doesn't remove it. Decomposing algae can suck all the oxygen out of the water and cause ammonia levels to increase, so be careful.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
More water changes and more plants to suck up the excess nutrients? Fast growing plants that is... And perhaps less light... if you have a light on the tank and it's not near a window, try splitting up the hours it's on... i.e. 4 hours in the morning, off for 2-3 hours, then back on for 4 hours in the evening.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I would feed less and get floaters. Salvinia minima, frogbit, even duckweed, and nobody hates duckweed more than I do. But green water is typically a symptom of high light and ammonia and floating plants will remedy both of those.

·
Registered
484 Posts
DE is bad for ants and other bugs that crawl... so I'd worry about using it in a tank with shrimp and snails.
Diatomaceous Earth is very small sharp porous shells from dead diatoms. It is effective as a non-poisonous ant control method because it gets trapped in the ants exoskeleton joints. In 10 years of using DE filters I can assure you it has no affect on snails or bottom feeders like catfish! I have never kept shrimp though. My hunch is it would not be a problem for aqueous shrimp but that is just my guess.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.