The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually come to the forums when I've tried and thought out everything first but sometimes you need the aid of others knowledge so here I am.

Can't seem to find the root cause of this "Green Thread Algae" i'm getting in my tank. It says the cause is due to low CO2, low nutrient levels and ammonia spikes. Nothing to do with excess iron as commonly thought.

Well first thing is my Co2 is not low at all and is consistent. I'm dosing using EI Method (NPK+Micros+Iron+Excel) and i'm also using Aqua Soil so I think that rules out low nutrient levels. Which only leaves Ammonia Spikes which I just checked using the liquid test and it came back zero plus my tank is not that heavily stocked and I use good filtration so whats the deal?

Overdosing excel does nothing to rid it so I'm forced to manually remove but still doesn't fix my root cause. Any ideas guys?

Tank: 15 Gal Rimless
Substrate: Aqua Soil
Lighting: 2x40w Compact fixture
Duration: 8 Hrs
Filtration: Eheim 2215 + Azoo Migon 10 HOB
Ferts: EI Method
Temp: 78

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There Dual daylight's

I run 1 bulb for 8 hours and the other bulb kicks on 1 hr 1/2 after first one comes on then turns off 1 1/2 before it turns off. Basically trying to mimic natural daylight.

Drop checkers Green.. Sometimes when I don't do my usual top offs during the week I get lack of surface agitation and I notice the co2 gets a good build up on top. I don't know.. it just seems like its a good amount of co2 getting cranked into the tank. Plants all grow and look lush.. I get the reds, pinks and greens growing just not sure why this thread stuff keeps coming. Doesn't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got thread from low co2 for my light level and high micros. Everytime I dosed too much flourish and iron for my low co2 thread would show up within 24hrs until I realized it was co2. I am thickheaded though and never gave tom barrs always co2 as the culprit any merit but I finally got it through my thick skull. Same goes for my alleged calcium deficiencies (twisting growth tips always on stem plants) that would show up from too much potassium or so I thought. Again it was Co2.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I see you are using a HOB ditch that thing my drop checker was always green with my tetra HOB but no matter how much Co2 I injected I could never get it yellowish green but thought it was good because it was green. Man the many algaes I grew with that thing on the tank. Now I use my HOB on a low tech and no algae. Just my opinion but I am still learning the whole algae thing but I am sure I got thread, green spot ,BGA and green water remedies down now 99% of the time. Just that damn BBA and the occasional green fuzz is a thorn in my side now. Lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The green fuzz and thread is usually from the same cause.. the hob is just an extra surface skimmer has nothing to do with the algae or co2.. doesent put in any air bubbles to dissipate co2 either.

It has to be my co2 but I'm not sure if I should crank it more its already high

·
Registered
130 Posts
HOB filters dissipate co2 very fast they don't have to put air bubbles into the water to do so. Especially the peguin bio-wheel filters. trust me on this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Turn your HOB off for a couple hours and see what color you drop checker turns after that I bet it goes more yellow. Look at the current inside your HOB it has high agitation and the return is a thin but wide current of water which offgasses quite fast.By dissipate I meant offgases in my other posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts