The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have started to get green string algae, the strings get almost 6 inches long. I want to nuke it before it spreads to the rest of the tank. This showed up after I removed a chunk of my plants and got a bit lax with my dosing. How can I remedy this? I tried to remove as much as I could, but it isn't going away. It is also spreading through the tank now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you can, buy an amano shrimp. They don't allow it here in HI so I've resorted to removing it manually. Also, having more plants to "compete" with it might curb your problem. I would also adjust your ferts/lighting as it may be too excessive and therefore adding fuel for the hair algae...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got a nasty case of hair algae after rescaping (disturbing the substrate and not doing a water change after). It is a very difficult algae to remove manually and requires a ton of manual labor consistently to fight it off. I'd try to figure out what caused it in the first place and then do an AP algaefix treatment to get rid of it. That worked wonders for me. Follow the instructions on the bottle, treat water let it sit for 3 days. Water change, treat again if necessary. It completely removed it from my tank with no harm to plants or fish. IT WILL KILL ALL SHRIMP so remove any before treating it, but it was completely safe to anything else I left in the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.