The Planted Tank Forum banner

Green Hair Algae

2003 6
I have a GHA issue with my 20 long. I currently am running a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 raised about two inches. I'm running it on the 24/7 mode. I have pressurized CO2 and I was dosing Excel and Flourish on alternating days. I stopped dosing because my algae problem started shortly after I restarted dosing (just moved and I stopped dosing in the months leading up to the move). I'm not sure if my ferts are the issue though. Right now I'm thinking my light is too intense for such a shallow tank, but I feel that with CO2 I shouldn't have to adjust my photo period. Today I increased my CO2 although my drop checker was showing a light green while running CO2. My fish did not seem to be troubled by the increase but I will keep an eye on them in the upcoming days. I also think the tap water at my new house might be causing the issue, I never had an algae problem at my old place and I haven't really changed any of my maintenance routines since the move.

I'm struggling to get this under control, do any of you have any thoughts?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Your plants are showing signs of nutrient deficiency. You have very high light and I think your CO2 is ok based on how S.Repens and monte carlo is growing but you are lacking some nutrients.

A good indicator is one of the AR plants showing the top node with healthy leaves and no algae while the rest of the plant is dying or covered with algae. This is a sign that nutrients have been pulled from the older leaves and it has made those older leaves prone to algae. Plants borrow nutrients from older leaves to form new nodes that is why you see the top nodes of the AR looking healthy. The S.Repens, though it looks good, is actually deficient too. The leaves of S.Repens when healthy is will have a nice consistent green color across the entire leaf with a white vein. In the picture it looks like the tips are yellowing or turning pale which is again a sign of a nutrient deficiency.

You might be right that the tap is causing it but it could be the tap from your previous house had nutrients that kept the plants growing while your new house tap is lacking certain nutrients.

Plants need Light, Carbon (CO2) and all the nutrients for plant growth. If one is lacking in your water especially like a macro nutrient (N,P or K) then your plants will never grow healthy and become prone to algae and keep dying.

I can recommend getting 3 juvenile SAEs (at 1 inch) and they will rid of the hair algae but your plants will keep dying if the missing nutrients are not provided. Once you sort out your nutrient issue then the algae will most likely never grow on your plants. The algae on the driftwood will probably be maintained by the SAEs but this won't matter until the nutrient issue is solved.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The AR was recently trimmed and that new growth is growing out of the old node where it had been cut. It does seem like you're on to something with the nutrients, I will look into other fertilizers to try to get them sorted out.

I will also look into getting some SAEs, it sounds a heck of a lot better than removing the hair algae by hand haha.

·
Banned
1,300 Posts
Flourish is intended for low tech tanks ( no CO2 and generally less light). If you add CO2 and bright light the faster plant growth can push the macro nutirents into deficiency. For you setup Estimative Index (EI) fertilizer will probably work better because most EI tanks have CO2 and brighter lights.

Bump: Flourish is intended for low tech tanks ( no CO2 and generally less light). If you add CO2 and bright light the faster plant growth can push the macro nutirents into deficiency. For you setup Estimative Index (EI) fertilizer will probably work better because most EI tanks have CO2 and brighter lights.

·
Registered
417 Posts
What I would do in that situation is remove by hand as much algae as possible (including the leaves that are covered in algae). Clean glass and rocks with a scrubber. Dose recommended amount of Flourish Excel directly on the algae that's left. Do 25 - 40% daily water changes for a week or two using dechlorinators if you have. If you're from Florida, I don't think the tap water is the issue since Florida water is usually very clean. Keep dozing fertilizers as required since healthy plants can fight algae better than unhealthy plants. Also, cutting the old, algae-covered-leaves helps promote new growth in the plants which also aids in keeping algae away. Good luck!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Im going to throw this out there since I have a 24/7 reef.
Its a powerful little light. What are the hours its on? I ask because mine doing its wind up, full on then wind down was only off for 3 hours. I ended up getting algae problems in my reef Im still trying to correct. I ended up turning off the 24/7 mode as its neat but overkill for most tanks.

I would get a regular timer for 3$ and set it up to maybe run at 6 hours (maybe less for now until some of that algae dies). Then add an hour until you think you are okay.

In my 55 I run my lights (regular finnex planted +) for about 7 hours. I ended up with some BBA (not a horrible amount and not on plants really) but algae on the glass was getting crazy. I was scrubbing almost every day. Ive started using my UV sterilizer the past couple weeks and honestly Ive scrubbed once since the first day I turned it on and scrubbed then. Maybe look into a small internal UV light like this while you go through your cleaning process to try and kill the free floating stuff while youre picking and scrubbing it all off.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Killin...&keywords=internal+uv+sterilizer+for+aquarium

a person above mentioned SAE. They are great for hair algaes, mine (might be flying foxes, dont remember) will wreck my BBA at times so that worth a try.
Over dosing excel can help as well.

Cut back on your ferts a while to. In a 20 gallon you shoudl only need like half a cap a week then work up from there. I have pretty much stopped dosing all together in my planted 55 because the growth was getting nuts. I do a dry fert (broken down in tank water) like once a week or so if I remember.

My thoughts tho is your light is way to intense. I recently redid my 5 gallon and modded my light for it to get better plants in there but its way to high and I have to remove 2 of my LEDs from it. pump up your co2 a bit (ONLY on with lights), and reduce your dosing to try and starve the algae out. Ive done this on my 30 and 55 and it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.