The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a 1.6g nano tank back in February with subpar LED lighting that came with the kit. After it cycled I upgraded to a proper LED light on a 12/12 schedule and dosed 0.1 mL of Flourish to try and get some horizontal growth for the dwarf baby tears I have planted. Within about 3 days there was some green hair algae starting to take off. Did a 50% water change and cut light to 6/18 which stopped the growth promptly, algae continuing to die off over the next few weeks.

It's now about a month later and there is still all that dead algae coating the leaves of my java fern and baby tears. Will this stuff eventually decay off the living plants? How long until it does? Any chemical solutions need to be invert safe; current inhabitants include 2x RCS, pond snails & a very happy assassin snail, java fern, java moss, dwarf baby tears, & duckweed.

Going forward I'm going to be keeping light cycle to no more than 8/16 and sub liquid Flourish for the tabs, maybe supplementing 0.05 mL/mo liquid down the road as more plants develop. I have a citric acid CO2 generator lying around if it could be of use, but would rather avoid the hassle of maintenance.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Manual removal with your filter off in combination with frequent water changes are your best bet. I wouldn't suggest any additives for this situation because it's not spreading and it would be overkill.

Also- dwarf baby tears are going to be incredibly hard if not impossible to get to carpet without intense lighting, good ferts and pressurized co2. I'm sure people gave grown it without and can probably tell you how but my experience with it is that without high tech settings it does not grow right and will not carpet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.