The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just bought ADA Green Gain. Now I got some red plants in the tank, will there be a side effect from using green gain ? Maybe the reds wont be as bright ? or something else ?

Or I shouldnt be using green gain if I got red plants in the tank ??

Can someone help ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Green gain is to help the plants recover from being trimmed for better growth afterwards which has little to do with red colors.

ECA is the iron supplement in which you would want to use for better colors in both green and red plants.

description of green gain...
Stemmed plants require frequent trimming. Stress that plants receive at trimming sometimes restrains their growth. Green Gain contains active ingredients (trace elements, minerals, amino acid etc.). Among other various botanical hormones, Green Gain includes cytokinin which, extracted from natural materials, eases plant stress and increases the resistance of aquatic plants against diseases.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
The advertisement suggest it's just rooting hormones.
Superthrive, which is about 4$ for a year's supply or more is available everywhere and has similar ingredients FYI.

We have added that and I've added various hormones over the years, I've not seen anything I could ever call significant.

I see no reason why this product would be any different other than the ADA label.

There is no evidence I know of that suggest adding hormones to aquatic plants helps in any way in their growth. I've done plenty of searching.

Dr Kane at UF is perhaps the best expert on the topic and is a good plant guy interested in aquatic botany/ornamental aquatic plants and is well connected with Florida Aquatic nurseries in Florida. Brad, the owner's son went to UF to study with Dr Kane.

Heck of a nice guy too, I took a group from one year's plant fest to see the lab, very impressive. I did some of the test he published and had similar results with Crypt flowering.

Fe from any supplement is not going to help red plants become redder, it will help the plants grow better if limiting, there is no Fe in the red pigments in plants nor is a limiting co factor in most of the enzymes along that pathway.
Plants will limit other pathways before they limit that one as it's very critical to new growth and development.

I do not think anyone has ever seen much redder color from manipulation of Fe, I sure haven't. It's tough to say also as it's an arbitrary unit(color, but can be measured accurate with the right equipment) as well as a trace element, so the influences can be rather subtle at times and given that there are general sources, such as ADA AS as other Fe source, very difficult to say.

ECA is very similar to the Dupla Daily dose drops for Fe.
Suspiciously similar........I hope that the chelator is different though.....
A simple test using an acid to unchelate the Fe and then analyze the remained would be able to tell which chelator is used.

Such issues lead to many questions and few answers.
So you might be left with testing such things yourself, rather than any real consensus.

Try and see if there is any different between say super thrive and GG. If not, why not buy the Superthrive for a 10X or more less?

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Like waiting for the train wreck?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My 42 hex leaked, and while I'm waiting to get a replacement acrylic tank that has no seams so therefore won't leak, I had to throw everything into a cheapie 29. I don't have any problems posting pics of it. :)

Now that's art. :)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
There is so much going on in that picture my eyes bumped heads and are in a frantic disorder.

shower, heart chairs, hex tank, co2 tank, counter, shelves, tank, light, toliet, NewLifeSpectrum food, oh and then there's the tiger print floor...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
That is one wild crib! Good catch on the shower, that was hard to see.
But I have a feeling we may be waiting a while to see anything other than Rex's birds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is so much going on in that picture my eyes bumped heads and are in a frantic disorder.

shower, heart chairs, hex tank, co2 tank, counter, shelves, tank, light, toliet, NewLifeSpectrum food, oh and then there's the tiger print floor...
LOL I was about to post the same thing :)

One of Green gain use is to increases the resistance of aquatic plants against diseases. What are plants diseases ??

Also, can green gain be used to fight against algae ? ie: make plants stronger and therefore help to fight against algae ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.