The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed some green/grayish fungus like growths under the mid section and swimmerets of some of my shrimps (Cherries and Amano).

I believe the the disease was introduced with the Cherries several months ago with a single individual with a small green fungal spot under their mid section.

So far it looks like the spread of disease has been slow as I've only been able to identify and remove/euthanize about three shrimp that were lightly infected over the course of 6 months or so. Recently an Amano has come down with what look like greyish fungal growth on its swimmerets. I'm a bit hesitant to euthanize the Amano just yet.

What I have found out seems to indicate the bright green fungal disease seems to originate from Asia, most likely due to bird droppings and seems to be feared by shrimp keepers everywhere. There also doesn't seem to be much recent/updated information regarding this disease that I could find.

Tank inhabitants are

Cherry shrimp 100+ (stopped counting after the second generation females became berried, started with 30)
Amano Shrimp 4/5
Marble Hatchet 5
Otos 6/7
Pygmy Cories 8/9?

The tank is a heavily planted 90 gal. I can't see the bottom in all but about 1 small section of the tank. So inhabitants could likely die in this tank and I could not find it for days if at all.

Parameters are
pH: 6.7
Temp: 85.8
Ammonia/Nitriite/Nitrate: 0/0/<20 or less.
GH/KH: 8-9/2
TDS: 250 ppm

Nitrates need to be dosed otherwise they stay at about 5.

I guess here are the questions I have regarding this disease,

1. How fast is the typical spread of this disease, as it doesn't seem any where close to speedy and I don't think it even outpaces the cherry shrimp reproduction rates.

2. Is the disease even contagious to a healthy shrimp? Given the low infection rates that I am seeing, I sort of would like some other first hand accounts before deciding on doing something drastic like sterilizing the tank.

2. Is the dreaded fungal disease from Asia always bright green in color? As the amano shrimp's infection seems to be green-grey in color. Or is it likely that the Amano has something else entirely?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think you are talking about ellobiopsidae. I just recently watched some excellent videos on you tube about it. Sorry I am pretty bad at figuring out how to link to things on the forum-I'm on my phone so extra bad.

The vids are by Rachel O'Leary one is about shrimp QT but it discusses the disease the second is 'ellobiopsidae update'. She discusses her attempts at treating the affected shrimp too.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Can you post a picture of the Amano? Since you say it is greyish that sounds like it may be something different. Could she be berried?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is this what you saw in your cherries?

I purchased 6 blue velvets from my LFS 2m ago and unfortunately took home one with this. I actually did not move her to QT until last night just to see if what she had was aggressively contagious. Figured I would cull everyone if that was the case. As of now, no other shrimp I have in the tank (5) show symptoms and in fact, 2 have berried up nicely. As to my affected girl, the growths increased in size/number only in the 1st 2w I had her, and have otherwise remained stable. From what I have read, water quality and light may also play a factor in the disease progression.

My tank is 5g and also heavily planted but with only 4 nerite snails, in addition to the shrimp. Water parameters have been spot on perfect (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, pH 7.4, KH 2, GH 6-7, TDS 220-240) since cycling was completed and I change out water (25-50%, I know, too much) weekly. My lights are set for 4 hours on in the morning and 4 hours on in the evening, with some intermittent indirect light exposure in between.

Moving forward, my affected shrimp will be in the QT with only indirect light exposure when provided and some anacharis and anubus. I also intend to treat with Paraguard for the next 2-3w as antifungals and anthelmintics may have some affect on the parasite. Curious to see how this plays out in my situation.

To answer your questions
1. Based on your and my cases, I would say this is a slowly progressive disease. However I have heard on other forums that this is not always the case. One individual told me it wiped out 30-50 of their shrimp, not including the infected ones brought in, within weeks of introduction.

2. Ability to infect healthy shrimp? From my limited experience I would say low. Heck, I would like to assume the growth I appreciated early on was due to stress of relocation, and that the lack of progression in my 1 female or development in my other shrimp are due to their otherwise good health and stable tank parameters, but I am sure the individual mentioned in 1. would argue that their shrimp population and tank were healthy as well..

3. Color? No experience with this in Amanos so I can't comment on its appearance in them, if infection is at all possible. My kiddo's growths are green-yellow. I suspect the blue of her body gives it that green tinge though.. But I have also heard it starts green then goes yellow as it progresses.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Berried amanos have tons of tiny eggs (in the hundreds) not like cherries that have under 50 so the tiny eggs have a different appearance than in a berried dwarf shrimp. As they hatch as larvae not tiny shrimp they also do not develop eyes and what you might be seeing are just the larvae. A picture would definitely help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Dariofan, @blairck:

Yes, I believe one of the store bought cherries were infected with ellobiopsidae. It was a fairly light case, a small pin speck of green near the legs. Slowly grew but never got as bad as the photo. I got busy lost track of it.
@garfieldfish:

It could be berried. But I looks like something else.

A few photo's should be attached below, however, I could not get a photo of the Amano with the swimmerets open.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.