The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had another thread going about potential tank mates for RCS, with particular concern for baby shrimp. Having considered all the suggestions there, I have to say that I really love the look and schooling nature of the green fire tetras - more so than neons and many others.

Anyone tried this fish with RCS & have personal experience to form an opinion, or can derive one from what can be distilled from here: http://www.azgardens.com/schooling_fish.php or here: http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/142.htm or anywhere else?

Just don't want to see any future baby RCS unnecessarily preyed upon. Tried to find dwarf rasboras, but not a single LFS regularly stocks them, and I do not want to rely on mail-order should it become necessary to replace an occasional fatality.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to LFS and started watching the behavior of neons, green fires, and several other fish. They all seemed to chase every little thing that moved - bits of food in the water, bubbles, etc. Not sure how baby-shrimp safe they are, but decided to take a gamble. Picked up 9 green fire tetras and 2 ottos.

Been in the tank about 20 hrs. Beautiful fish. The ottos went immediately to work on patches of algae. The tetras were so-so for the TetraColor food recommended by LFS, but went nuts for freeze dried blood worms.

Anyway, I guess time will tell if keeping these with baby shrimp will work. If not, will need a shrimp only tank. C'mon garage sale season! :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just a little follow-up: personal experience is now that Green Fire Tetras will actively hunt for shrimp! What a shame - really are a good looking fish. Returned them to the LFS for some neons.

While the neons are probably still adjusting to their new environment, they seem to be a little more than curious about the cherries - but nearly just as startled as the cherries when they suddenly move. Is this normal, or should I really be thinking of an otto only tank?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Owen, the only shrimp safe fish is the Otto catfish. The next safest fish may be dwarf rasaboras or dwarf corries.

If anything else is added don't be surprised if they hunt or eat the shrimp, or at least the young!

-Andrew

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had to small white clouds in my rcs tank. everything was fine at first. Never had a prob with them eating shrimp but they would hog as much shrimp food as they could and not let the shrimp go near it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I find that guppies and danios will only find some of the baby shrimp, and some will always survive. But it helps slow their population growth anyway. I do not think my platies eat many of my baby shrimp at all.

Plus, java moss is great for baby shrimp to hide in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts