1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i have been discussing fish choices in another thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=602786&highlight=

and have been advised about my tetra numbers, I know i should have more but none of my LFS ever have any! I have 3 green fire tetra who shoal with my galaxy rasbora.

One question, if i to but say 5 of either Cardinal/Neon/Black Neon tetra, would these be suitable for the green fire and shoal with them? hence making them more secure or would the divide still be there?

Thanks in advance.:icon_cool

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
I read your other thread...
There is not that much room in you tank to shoal: whatever you get will be all over the tank.

Another consideration is temperature compatability: you already have CPD and they do better at lower temps 74-76℉, while Cardinals would do better at 80℉+.

My point being: maybe do some research - info is out there.

v3

·
Registered
534 Posts
Get the Green Fire Tetras if you can.

Green Fire Tetras are ok mixing with other tetras, I think as a rule tetras are ok with other tetras, but happier with their own… I had Green Fire Tetras in their own tank until recently, their colors where the best, the greens were bright, the reds dark and rich, and the black and white fin tips where outstanding. They are currently living with a mix of tetras (see below), their colors have shifted (this might be food related), but the green has shifted to a more yellow.

Green Fire Tetras (aka Red Flank Tetras) are my top favorite Tetras (tied with Filigree ‘Glass’ Bloodfin Tetras). I’m told by the fish department manager of PetCo, that they don’t travel (ship) well and that’s why we won’t be seeing them in the big box fish relaters at least in Hawaii. The smaller shop had some, which is why I have a dozen. Green Fires are so much healthier than both Cardinal and Neon Tetras.
I have 12 Green fire living with 30 Filigree Tetras, 5 Red Eye Tetras and 6 Bloodfin Tetras (plus one dwarf puffer on snail patrol, 4 otos on algae patrol, 4 mixed cory cats on clean up and night watch, a dozen feeder shrimp as clean up and teats for the fish and far too many snails that the puffer needs to wipe out) all in a 29G tank.

They all play well together, the Red Eyes hang on top 25% of the tank. The Filigree hold mostly the top half, sharing the middle ground with the Green Fire Tetras, they hold the middle to bottom along with the bloodfins. The dwarf puffer does what ever he (or she) wants.

I’ve been pondering downsizing the Filigree Tetras to make life easier for me. Keeping up with an over stocked tank, is doable, but it more work. Or maybe talk the wife into letting me upgrade to 55+G tank.

If you can find a way, more Green Fire Tetras – they are great fish and will be happiest and their most colorful among other Green Fire Tetras.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.