The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, so I'm plagued with an issue I've never run across in my time of aquariums. I have a tank that is quite well established, was set-up around September last year (DSM, which I had to cut short due to fungus/mould). I had a auto dosing pump for EI which failed when I was on holidays and resulted in an explosioin of BGA (which has been fixed).

The tank has been running very well since early December - with slow (but steady) progress with fixing the HC carpet.

Last week (10 days ago) I performed a normal weekly 50% W/C as required for EI dosing (I haven't changed the amount I have been EI dosing for months). The water was slighly cloudy after the W/C (appeared white not green) but continued to get worse over the week. By Sunday (when I do my W/C) it was quite bad. So, I did another 50% W/C, and since then (two days) the water has gone from semi-transparent to...well...you can see from the below photos.

I don't know what has caused this as nothing has recently changed.

Water params are what they should be

0ppm amonia
0ppm nitrite
~30-40ppm nitrate (slighly high but nothing alarming)
~3ppm phosphate
~30ppm CO2 during photoperiod
7degrees general hardness
5dKH

Photoperiod 8 hours (ramps up for 30 mins, ramps down for 30 mins)

Dosing standard EI in DIY solution bottles.

The plants are growing nicely (as you can see from the pearling of the HC).

I haven't cleaned the filter in a couple of months, but I daresay that would be the issue.

Any ideas? I was thinking blackout 2-3 days, big vaccum of any mulm etc, clean filter than 70% W/C at the end (but I don't want to kill anything).

I'm worried that I'll kill the fish.

Photos:

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a post on how to fix it cheap and easy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply.

I had a look at your post, and with a bit more research, it seems the only real way to get rid of this is a diatom filter (which is what you're describing, mechanical filtration).

I might make a DIY filter and see if I can get this to work.

Cheers!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

I had a look at your post, and with a bit more research, it seems the only real way to get rid of this is a diatom filter (which is what you're describing, mechanical filtration).

I might make a DIY filter and see if I can get this to work.

Cheers!
yeah no problem, hope it works out for you! Just watch your fertilizer amounts and remember to do water changes! You don't have to make all the algae go away, just control it enough with balanced tank parameters so it doesn't come back. also, your high nitrates combined with the EI method might be helping to feed the algae. the EI method basically causes extra ferts, which the algae will be all too happy to consume.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I popped into a local fish shore and although I couldn't find a submersible one, I did get one that I can hook up to my canister.

What I'll probably end up doing is to run the sterilizer for the next few days (or until it clears up).

On a site note, any thoughts on running this on a weekly maintenance schedule? Such as running it on Sundays/Monday (day I do my water change, and the day after)?

I hear it's fine to run 24/7 but that seems unnecessary.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.