The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a bit of a Newbie so forgive me if my question is redundant. I've had my 55 gallon tank for almost a year now. Haven't gotten the plants in yet though. But I have a bunch of schooling fish and six Albino Cory Catfish in there. The tank has been Super Clean for almost a year. Past month or so it started growing some bright green\blue algae on the glass and then some brown. The brown is on the rocks as well. It wipes off fairly easy with a paper towel but I went to get some Standard Issue Algae Eaters yesterday so they would eat it. They don't seem to have any interest in the algae?!?!? They are all over the glass but not where the algae is. Is there another type fish I need or should I just give it some time?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Sounds like BGA (blue-green algae). Is it slimy and has an earthy smell? If so, I believe that it's not actually an algae but cyanobacteria. I beat it by following others advice here. Get some Maracyn (not Maracyn II) and treat 1 tab per ten gallons for 5 days. Manually remove as much as possible. Do a large water change after the 5 days.Then start dosing nitrates, low nitrates is what causes the BGA outbreak. I haven't had it reoccur in since I upped my dosage of nitrates. Good luck!

·
Registered
663 Posts
The brown sounds like diatoms. Have you changed anything recently? Have you tested your water? Sounds like something is off. You'd really be better off in the long run getting some plants in there, they help keep things balanced. :icon_smil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I think you're right. Probably bacteria like you say. They have cleaned up some of it but they don't treat it any different from the rest of the glass. They just eat it by chance. I did change the filter a little while back. I got two with the tank but only need one. The one bag of gravel or whatever it is broke so I put in one from the other filter that was used but sitting in the shed for a good long while. That may have done it. I'm hesitant to start putting any chemicals in it. But I do intend to get some plants in there. As soon as I move. Don't want to try to move a planted tank. That would be a nightmare!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts