The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was amazingly wierd.
While looking into my tank, I noticed what looked like little puffs of smoke coming from the top of the water down into the tank!
After viewing it and wondering what it could be, it hit me. It reminded me of types of wild mushroom we have out back that spew their spores into the air when disturbed. So I thought, "fungus" Upon checking the glass versa top there was a thick band of green algae that formed along the plastic hinge.
I cleaned it up well.

But, then I noticed the back tank glass (that I never clean) had green specs forming on it. The algae was settling in.

Does anyone know if I should clean the tank glass or should I just let it sit and see if it disappears on its own.

I do have a few Ottos in the tank, but have no idea if they would eat this or not.

If nothing else, I actually enjoyed being able to see this happen. I wish I could have gotten it on video! Who'd have thought!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I found it quite pretty and amazing to watch.

But I would still like to know if anyone has ever witnessed this,
and whether or not I should clean off the glass that has been affected by it.

The Ottos seem to be nibbling on the glass with the new growths.
I don't want to disturb it, if that would only help spread it throughout the tank.:icon_conf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.