The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greater Chicago Cichlid Association has only one swap meet this comming year!!!

Does anyone know why they cut it down to one? Which i have made sure that i will be going to or i will die trying. From what i here from you guy/girls that this is the best place to buy fish so i will be goint to see what i can score.

But just cant think of a reason why they would only hold one this year. Any ideas?????.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
While I certainly don't have any inside connection, it might be more accurate to say that at this moment, three days into the new year, they only have one scheduled on their calendar (2/18). I would be quite surprised if they did not add at least a couple more as the year progresses.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Assuming no conflict I'll probably stop by just to stock up on a few months' worth of food - few pounds of frozen worms and some flake.
Pretty much fully stocked right now - everyone seems healthy and happy, I'd just as soon keep it that way instead of messing with things. Aw heck, who am I kidding? When I get there I'll go crazy as always! ;)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never been to one of these. What are they like ? Do you have to be a member to attend ?
Neither have i so were in the same boat. But i WILL BE AT THIS ONE JUST IN .CASE

No you do not have to be a member but there is a very small fee of 3.00 per person or 5.00 per family.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi

Assuming no conflict I'll probably stop by just to stock up on a few months' worth of food - few pounds of frozen worms and some flake.
Pretty much fully stocked right now - everyone seems healthy and happy, I'd just as soon keep it that way instead of messing with things. Aw heck, who am I kidding? When I get there I'll go crazy as always! ;)
LOL eds.

Since it right after taxes come back the wife is going to have to keep me on a short leash while I'm there. because i will walk in there with 50.00 set a side to spend there and walk out with 100.00 in the hole. LOL

Must buy more. Got to have more.:drool: :hihi:

So if any one wants to find me just look for the man led a round on a leash by his wife. A really really short leash. lol

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I found the way to limit myself is just carry a certain amount of cash, and when that runs out, I'm done. No stopping at the ATM!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
If you are looking for good deals, come early and spend the whole day. Allot of the good stuff will be gone practically the first hour or 2 after it opens. Then you can leave and come back around 2-3pm or so. By that time, the people at the booths want to leave early, so they sell allot of their stuff cheap.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi

If you are looking for good deals, come early and spend the whole day. Allot of the good stuff will be gone practically the first hour or 2 after it opens. Then you can leave and come back around 2-3pm or so. By that time, the people at the booths want to leave early, so they sell allot of their stuff cheap.
Thanks for the tip crazie.eddie.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL !

I can already see this as being a major wallet drain.
Just tell your self that you are not the only addict and you quit any time you want. That is what the rest of us do. lol :hihi:

Anyone want to sing up for PTA ( planted tanks anonymous)? lol

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yeah - I've heard folks say this, but I'm not sure it is consistent with my experiences having been to maybe 3-4 of them. I've gotten there at various times, between 10 and noonish. I guess it depends on what you want - if you want to pick up a cheap tank or something, that might go fast. Or if you have really high standards on the fish you want. For example, one time I was looking at some orange koi angels around noon. Was really impressed with what I saw, and the guy pulled out a bag he had sold right at the open - to another vendor. They were amazing - but if I haden't seen them, the ones he still had for sale still were many times nicer and cheaper than anything I have ever seen at a LFS.

The vendors differ widely on their willingness to haggle. Some folk are unwilling to haggle either early or late. Others will offer $ off the marked price as soon as you exhibit interest.

As far as plants go, I've found plenty of nicely priced pretty exotic plants quite late - I think us plantheads are a realtively small portion of the market... And the bloodworm guys seem to have an inexhaustible supply! Some of the nicer fancier fish probably sell out more frequently and quickly.

I'm just saying, unless you want something really specific, have exceptionally high standards, or are on an exceptionally strict budget - IMO it wasn't worth my time to stick around for several hours, or go at any time other than what was most convenient for me. YMMV.

Another thing - talk to the vendors, see what all they breed. Gather their cards or write down contact info. If they don't have exactly what you want, many appear able/willing to bring it next time, or work out other arrangements. Couple of examples - one guy regularly brings rainbows - but if you want a certain species like bosemanii, he might not bring them to every show. Instead he'll bring what he thinks he has that is the right size/age to sell. Or some other guys bring loaches. One time they had a bunch of yoyos. I didn't buy any. Next time I wanted some, and they said they didn't bring any because the previous time they didn't sell well. If I had thought to keep their info, I could have special ordered some. Or you could ask if someone will bring in eggs, or fry for you.

The last one - over Thanksgiving - was a little disappointing IMO. Fewer vendors than past ones. Just guessing, but I'd expect this one to be pretty good, with a lot of folk wanting to thin out stock that has been building up over several months.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi

If anyone is in need of some brine shrimp eggs i have a brand new vial of them still in the package.

I will trade the for one stem of just about any red plant or a red tiger lotus/ Blyxa japonica.

If you really need them you can have them for free. I have way more than i will use in the next year or two. It's up to you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would like to go and maybe buy some rams and apistos, do i need to be registered to buy fish? Is there usually a good selection there, and good prices? Thanks

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Naw, man. Just show up and pay your $5.

I'm not really into cichlids, but there sure seem to be plenty of them. generally I just skip over the tables that are solely cichlids (except for angels) and there are several of them. I'd guess at least 10-15 on an average show, each of which had many many fish.

Whether they have exactly what you want depends on how specific your needs/wants. But when I was considering "some kind of" apisto, there were several different vendors who had various stock, were able and willing to discuss things in detail with a neophyte, and had numerous inexpensive fish to suit my needs.

if you have very specific needs, it might pay to get there early.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Oh yeah - every time I have gone there has been at least one or two guys with rams. Last time one guy had a whole tank full of blues - plenty of nicely colored M&F. I think they were about $5 each. And other vendors had smaller amounts individually bagged.

·
Registered
122 Posts
if I am able to con my dad into taking me, I would probably a 1yr Gold Angelfish ready to trade. Its extremely healthy, though If I do plan on selling him then my mom with be upset. Wheres the location?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
if I am able to con my dad into taking me, I would probably a 1yr Gold Angelfish ready to trade. Its extremely healthy, though If I do plan on selling him then my mom with be upset. Wheres the location?

I don't think it really works that way. Vendors pay a set fee - $30 I think - for a table. Tho the vendors do buy/sell/trade among themselves, I would be very surprised if they were interested in customers bearing fish rather than cash. And unless your angel is something incredibly special, you couldn't expect it to bring more than a couple of bucks.

Of course, you could try to work out a swap with another member of these forums who planned on going.

Check out their website for a map. The hotel is in Palatine on Euclid, just E of 355.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts