The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local stores are kind of well light on planted tank supplies so where is a great online resource?

I need rocks, driftwood, sand, etc and I need it at the absolute bottomline price.

Thank-you!

·
Registered
225 Posts
rocks well take a walk, a lot of rocks in your neighborhood would work. don't like them smooth and round get a big hammer and have some fun, that's what i did.

driftwood you could look in the sales forum for a deal also have heard people are buying manzanita wood from hobby stores(alot cheaper the fish stores) just make sure it wasnt chemically treated, want all natural.

sand you could use just good old play sand from home depot or a lot of people like the black diamond blasting sand from tractor supply.

again though the sales forum here is a good spot to get some nice things ant a nice price.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I go for the long walk to find wood and rocks. It just takes some time and effort with a bit of knowledge of what you are looking for in either. For sand, I like the sand used in pool filters. Not as cheap as all purpose sand or play sand but a bunch easier to clean and it doesn't have the smaller grain which can get into filters and ruin the impeller shaft. It has a nice light color that I like.
Do some looking around the forum for info on collecting wood and rocks. Both are a frequent item. There's nothing out there much cheaper than finding your own.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I was able to find carib sea flora max midnight for a measly $10 a bag at my local petsmart.

I now need a place to buy plants. Unfortunately my local fish stores, well they are severely lacking in the plants department.

Petsmart has plants but they are dry? Not sure on their quality. Also not sure I like the selection of plants they have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts