The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, the Planted Tank forums have supplied me with extensive knowledge and ideas to start up my first planted aquarium 3 months ago.
Thank you very much...:eek:

My Aquarium:

29 Gallon tall
Fluval 304 (filter floss, 2 bags fluval carbon, 15 oz Bio Max Ceramic Rings)
2 1/2" - 3" flourite substrate
2 @ 24 watt T5 HO Hagen Life Glo (9 1/2 hours day)
1 @ 20 watt T8 Hagen Aqua Glo (10 1/2 hours day)
DIY Co2 - 2 @ 2 L bottles with Hagen bubble ladder (also add 3 ml flourish excel daily)
decor - 1 piece Malaysian driftwood, 3 rocks
livestock - 6 neon tetras, 6 zebra danios, 3 true SAE (researched before purchase),15 malaysian trumpet snails, 15 ramshorn snails

I set up the aquarium 3 months ago without rinsing the flourite, added in Seachem Stability right away and changed the filter floss twice a day for the first 3 days until the water cleared. I then vacuumed the top 1" of the flourite to remove dust for planting. I planted using tweezers and slowly moving back and forth as I pushed the plants into the substrate.
I was very excited and planted about 15 different species NOT realizing how large the plants would quickly grow. I am down to 10 species now and quite happy with the results minus the recent issue of water clarity.

Current Plants:

Pogostemon erectus, Wisteria (Hygrophilia difformis), Ludwigia glandulosa, Broad Leaf Ludwigia (Ludwigia repens), Cyperus (Cyperus helferi), Java fern, Dwarf Four Leaf Clover (Marsilea crenata), Micro Sword Narrow Leaf (Lilaeopsis mauritius), Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides)

Dosing:

Co2 - Seachem excel
micro - Seachem flourish comprehensive
macro - hagen Plant Gro NPK

initially I was dosing 1/2 EI method until the plants were large and required regular pruning (about 4 weeks in).

Last 2 months the following:

sunday: 50% water change, ADD 10 ml macro, ADD 3 ml flourish excel
monday: ADD 5 ml micro, ADD 3 ml flourish excel
tuesday: ADD 10 ml macro, ADD 3 ml flourish excel
wednesday: ADD 5 ml micro, ADD 3 mlflourish excel
thursday: ADD 10 ml macro, ADD 3 ml flourish excel
friday: ADD 5 ml micro, ADD 3 ml flourish excel
saturday: ADD 3 ml flourish excel

Last week (about 12 weeks in) a had a large Moneywort (bacopa monnieri) melt from the bottom up. As it was behind the driftwood and other plants, I did not notice until about 12 inches of the 18 inch tall plant was rotted at the bottom. I removed the plant when I noticed this as I was looking for a reason which the water was turning green/yellow.
Since about 10 days ago I have reduced the micro and macro nutrients to 50% and have also been doing a 50% water change every 4 days, but there is still a green/yellow color to the water, and it still worsens with every day between the water changes. Will this eventually clear up again?

All plants are healthy accept for the Moneywort that melted away, it did not really turn brown as it died, the leafs went clear and rotted in place, the stems were not rotted either!

I have posted images my profile.

Can anyone verify the plant on the front left, the LFS did not know what species it is, but I think it is Narrow Leaf Ludwigia.

Excellent resources available at this site!

I highly recommend The Planted Aquarium Forums to all with planted aquariums...

Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts