The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, finally got to put this old 2ft tank ive had hanging around to use, plan was to have two "cliffs" with path down the middle, have topped the cliffs with Monte Carlo as this one wont have Co2, and the MC should be nice and close to the light at the top of the stones.

With the hight of the ikea cube shelf the tank is sitting on this is the eye sight view of the tank

Some other shots

Day 1

Day 15

Day 22

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great scape. Only thing is could you make the path a bit thinner towards the back. Also, putting a small stone under where the stone hangs may be good. As the hanging stone bothers me I dunno why hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I mite make it a bit thinner, probably a good idea, that stone does annoy me also, I mite remove it tho its holding up a bunch of soil... at first I liked it because it was hanging but now I think its to big!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have ordered a small ISTA canister filter for this one, probably to small but we will see, I also dont want to run a heater. I may not stock with any fish, or perhaps only DAE shrimp, will the lack of heater be any issue for the MC?

Also when i flood, I plan on not using Co2, am I setting myself up for failure by doing the dry start, I have read the plant will become reliant on the large amount of Co2 present during a dry start.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Grassy Cliffs - 2ft Low Tech

Cooler temperatures will decrease growth rates, which will probably be a good thing since this is a Low Tech. Also, you've done most of the growing already.
You could possibly keep some fish that like cooler water like Tanichthys micagemmae. Although the Aussie summer may be rough. When I visit some of my family in Melbourne during summer, many a time it was hitting upwards of 40 degrees Celsius.
For when you flood you could be okay without CO2, although you may get a lot of melt, but you may not get more than what is usually seen when people flood dry-starts. If you think about it the plant needs to transition from emersed to submersed anyway, so will also adapting to lower CO2 levels be such a big deal? Could be, I don't quite understand all the plant mechanics to give an answer. Also, the dry start allowed you to carpet the MC which may not have been possible just growing it in a low-tech without waiting for years. So, overall I think the dry start was a good choice. We shall see though.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Opare, good advice, slow growing wont be a issue here as I would like to keep this one low maintenance, so I think ill trial no heater, I live in Perth which is probably warmer than Melbourne but generally not as cold! I keep some native Australian shrimp in a non heated tank they seem to do ok so I may run with more of them if I want to add some life to the tank.

Hopefully I dont get to much melt without Co2, I will be dosing liquid carbon, I mite go a little heavy on the dose.

Will keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Grassy Cliffs - 2ft Low Tech

It not be a good idea especially when you consider that the first few weeks are a critical period in tank maturation. The bacteria in the tank may really not like the sudden change in parameters, and could lead to algae. Something you could try though, I've seen people suggest using water from tanks you inject CO2 in at water changes. The idea is to help enrich your low-tech tanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Smashed up some more rocks, looks a bit more dramatic now, going to head into Aquarium Gallery Perth tomorrow and try get some more mosses, perhaps some Anubias Nana Petite and a few floaters for when i fill this thing up hopefully during the week!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.