The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6g fluval edge with 10 cherry shrimp or so and 10 ghosts. 4 of the ghosts are berried and I saw the first larval shrimp today. The tank is heavily planted with wisteria, large java fern, 6-7 spiraled val, anubias, and a ton of dwarf hair grass . Some other random plants as well. My question is what should/can I do to try and help the larva along ? Or do I just let nature take is course?

·
Registered
205 Posts
What kind of light do you have on your edge..... Not shrimp related.... Just curious how you keep so many plants in your edge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If I recall correctly, ghost shrimp fry need infusoria for the first few days, but don't stay in the water column very long - they settle on the bottom and transform into miniature shrimp within about a week. In any case, power filters will quickly annihilate any fry, and some will be consumed by other shrimp or even their parents (obviously you should not keep a breeding ghost shrimp colony with fish).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the factory hob filter with a prefilter sponge and the flow is choked way down and the water level is a half inch from top of opening so the physical current is minimum also I noticed one of the larva has settled in the hair grass mat and one on moss ball

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Success ..... So far .... Upon tons of tiresome research, I have lots of baby and larval shrimp. First thing I did was choke the filter flow way down, second pruned my dwarf hair grass, wisteria, and vals, left the clippings in tank. Third no more water changes. Fourth cut way back on excel. Finally testing water every day or two. Level have been great so far. It's great seeing all the stages at once, one clutch is larval,one is already running around on new legs, one is hatching right now, the last one I'm just starting to see the eyes in the eggs. On another note found 26 ramshorn egg sacs ........... The only major environmental change is water temp usually around 69.6-71.8 now up to 79.4

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick update outta 4 clutches I have 15 -20 shrimplets running around on their own ....seen a few get eaten by the adults. Watched tonight when I turned out the lights probably 50 plus mixed larva and shrimplets came outta nowhere and swarmed the opening. As far as the feeding I've been grinding algae tabs into a powder and have seen the larvae floating around with chunks. They seem to be doing well. Started normal water changes again as well as very spaced out doses of excel. It's a pain finding the ones that get sucked out at water change.... I have photos galore will post all after all shrimplets are all on their own

1 - 10 of 10 Posts