The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does grapevine *eventually* sink?

Or is it a floater no matter what?

I have like tubs and tuns of grapevine - decided to soak it with some ironwood (I think) ... day 2, no signs it's going to sink (though it's a bit soon), but it is slightly heavier.

Figured I'd let it soak for like a month and see - but curiosity got the better of me so I thought I might as well ask and see if anyone else knows. lol

·
Registered
715 Posts
I am also interested in hearing about this. My dad grows grapes and makes wine so I usually have an abundance of that laying around his house I end up hauling out for him and there is some neat pieces I would like to use but heard that they werent good to use in the tank.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
They do sink after a nice long soaking period. You could probably boil it to speed up the process. Just know that they leach a LOT of tannins. I've got one log in my tank that is still leaching after soaking for about 2 weeks and being in my tank for a few months. I also found that mine was very prone to mold...but since it's wrapped in java moss my catfish loves to stay under it and every other critter in my tank loves to hang in/around the java moss and the coves it creates.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I'd have to second, or third, the boiling idea. Wood floats for a loooong time, even after you submerge it completely. To get it to sink quickly you have to destroy the cell structure of the wood, most easily done with heat and water.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I have not had good luck using Grape wood, we have plenty here in CA and they sand blast the old stumps, it rotted good, really good.

Hard to get consistent stuff as far as aged wood.

Old aged wood is better. I think some of it is fairly green.
It's not particularly suited for aquariums, but a few folks have used it well.

Shrimp and plecos will help with the rot/cure process(they help with any/all wood).

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just started a nano using grapevine and so far the waters clear, but I did boil it for days changing the water about every hour. They were small branches tho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts