The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here use it? ive purchased a piece and it its super clean ,and dried out looks great under the water but its pretty light as it will float. how long for it to be water logged to the point of not floating? right now i anchored it to some slate with stainless steal screws to keep it submerged.the stuff was a bit pricey but its got a really cool look and color to it.one day i should post a picture.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Think weeks rather than days before it stays down on its own. I've got some that's 2-3 years old that's starting to break down, but other pieces the same age are still in good shape.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have some in my 10 gallon shrimp tank. I got a little of the "white fungus" people talk about on it at first, but it's clean now. It came from Petsmart in the reptile section. It's supposedly "heat treated" if that makes a difference.

Tommy

·
Registered
375 Posts
Good Luck! I have never heard anything good about grapevine in an aquarium setting. Maybe you will have a better experience.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I wouldn't reccommend using grapevine wood. I did, it developed fungus, eventually went away, then started to breakdown fairly quickly (from the beginning to about year). I got sick of it and just took it out. Stick with those "known" driftwoods: mopani(sp?), manzanita, maylasian, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As best I can tell success with grapevine is few and far between.
I tried. It went badly.
I would throw it away and try something else.

If you are going to keep it ....
boil it for most of a day
microwave it on high in 1000watt microwave for 10 minutes
bake at 250 degrees for 10 hours
boil again for most of a day

If you do these things, you might be OK.

I would ... and will soon ... simply replace the grapevine with something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts