The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some aqueoun granules the other day because I've read they're healthier as well as dissolve and sink slower than flakes hence lowering waste in the tank which sounds great in theory right? However they do not float at all. They immediately fall straight to the bottom. Since I've started feeding with them my fish now spend most of the day scouring the substrate for food instead of actually swimming around the tank. Except for my new GBR, the only thing he'll eat so far is blood worms. I like the idea of the granules but my fish do a pretty good job of eating every last morsel of flakes before anything hits the bottom. Anyone else have a similar of different experience with granules? Also is there anyone else out there with gbr's who only ate blood worms at first and how did you get them to eat other foods?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I found that crushing the pellets into smaller particles will slow down the sinking rate. Also feed in smaller increments at feeding time, try it little pinch by little pinch. By lengthening the feeding time you'll get a more eager and faster response from the fish. Plus it will give time for this opposite side of the tank fish who haven't caught on to "its feeding time" yet. or maybe enough time to get your rams alert and interested.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My cichlids eat the sinking pellets before they hit the bottom splashing water out of the tank then spend a short amount of time checking the bottom for leftovers , then a day of very active swimming building there appetite.
My one corey is losing weight because food hardly makes it down to him, he has leaned to be fast if it does.
Try floating pellets

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My ram pays no attention to any food at the top weather it be flakes or granules, the gouramis on the other hand eat well from the top and bottom. The ram as of now will only eat blood worms from the bottom. He hasn't been in the tank for even a week yet so I'm hoping he becomes more accustomed to feeding time and eating other foods.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
after doing some research what I thought were blood worms are actually tubifex worms. Anyone know how long I can keep them in my fridge?
Are they live?

I'd wean your GBRs onto frozen foods, and then start mixing in your dry foods.

IME GBRs will eat just about everything once they're hungry enough, I doubt it will take long LOL

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If you change their water every day, they should be able to survive in the fridge. I stopped feeding tubifex worms to my fish though since they tend to carry parasites.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are they live?

I'd wean your GBRs onto frozen foods, and then start mixing in your dry foods.

IME GBRs will eat just about everything once they're hungry enough, I doubt it will take long LOL
Yes they're live. Or at least they were live, they've been in my fridge since last Thursday an i haven't changed the water (wasn't aware i should be doing so, LFS just said stick them in the fridge) so i'm not sure if they're actually alive at this point.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.