The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :icon_mrgr
I made a post a while ago about getting my grandma a tank with a betta, 4g, and it has since been set up and is running fine considering how little maintenence is done as I don't see her a lot (every week or so I change the water with tap water left out for the day). Recently, her tank has had a problem with what I believe to be blue-green algae/cyanobacteria. :icon_conf We have tried pulling it out, cleaning out the filter, doing larger water changes, but nothing is really working. She has 3 ghost shrimp and 2 snails in there if it helps. I am unsure of what to do as I have never had a problem like this and when I read about it it sounds like a lot of people don't know what causes it. I was hoping to get some advice? I have heard about using Maracyn but I don't know how that would affect the shrimp in particular. I was thinking of adding a lot more plants as it doesn't have too many but I am at wits ends as she keeps calling me saying "that green stuff has covered everything" even though I cleaned it about 2 days ago. I was also thinking about changing what kind of water she uses. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Algae eaters wont eat BGA.

Reports of various solutions are in THIS thread.

I tried reducing light, increasing flow, etc nothing worked so I used macryn and it looks to have killed it. I think people reported in there that it did not harm their shrimp.

Hadley said they used Excel to get rid of it, but others reported excel didn't work for them. I dunno what double doses of excel would do to shrimp.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
There are antibiotics that will kill it.

Increased waterflow and nitrates are a good way to prevent it, but likely won't get rid of what's already in the tank.

BGA is generally toxic to varying degrees, so most critters don't eat it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I had a huge problem with it after my co2 went on the fritz for a while. I cleaned out as much as I could and did a huge water change, and then treated with Maracyn for full dose and full length of time, then completed big water change. Results were perfect - gone and never came back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.