The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Good lookin shrimp there Tu. I see you're finally putting that Nikon to work haha. Take some moar shots bro. Make sure you sell me some of her offspring cause she's indeed, very BERRIED!

I'd say she's a SSS+ since she's got no marking on the tail... but don't quote me. Let's see what the Shrimp Experts say.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Not 200 bucks, lol. She's an ssss, or a ss+. I think the verbal term would be extreme flowerhead

Now if the white was totally solid, the contrast between black and white was crisp, no yellow tinge and full white or black legs she'd be worth a pretty penny.

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
Not 200 bucks, lol. She's an ssss, or ass+. I think the verbal term would be extreme flowerhead

Now if the white was totally solid, the contrast between black and white was crisp, no yellow tinge and full white or black legs she'd be worth a pretty penny.
Did you mean to write that Liam? LOL

·
Registered
773 Posts
Good news:
She might be worth the $200, there's a tiny possible chance her offspring could throw you a king kong or even a blue bolt. If you look on her rostrum she's got a blue tint. It's theorized that the mutation comes from golden genes. ( http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/sho...e-tinited-snow-white-shrimp?p=66843#post66843 ) If it's the same breeder I'm thinking about in HK, there could be some taiwan bee parentage going on in that shrimp. But that leads me to...
Bad News:
She's got golden genes. People are serious crabs when it comes to golden genes in their CRS/CBS.

·
Registered
618 Posts
people spend thousands of dollars on a single shrimp
sooo hypothetically speaking, if i breed cherry shrimp and end up with a purple one and name it "purple rain" and charge 300$ a shrimp people will buy them?

i see a business here...

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Nope, you'd get probably 30 dollars for that though.

Bad news is, people are probably already breeding a purple cherry, and by the time you get yours ready, they'll be available for 2 dollars a piece.

A high quality CRS is unique though, not just a colored shrimp. A high quality CRS with brilliant thick color, unique patterns and superior health is one of a kind, not one of a million. Think of it more like artwork and less like livestock. These breeders are working on their shrimp like art, and it's art that takes years to achieve. That is why they are expensive.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nope, you'd get probably 30 dollars for that though.

Bad news is, people are probably already breeding a purple cherry, and by the time you get yours ready, they'll be available for 2 dollars a piece.

A high quality CRS is unique though, not just a colored shrimp. A high quality CRS with brilliant thick color, unique patterns and superior health is one of a kind, not one of a million. Think of it more like artwork and less like livestock. These breeders are working on their shrimp like art, and it's art that takes years to achieve. That is why they are expensive.
so why exactly would a colored cherry shrimp with nice solid purple color not be worth as much? i don't know much, but i'm a little taken aback... i guess it's like anything though, and people take it to the extreme.

i thought high grade shrimp were really really weak and prone to all sorts of problems like most pure bred animals?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
so why exactly would a colored cherry shrimp with nice solid purple color not be worth as much? i don't know much, but i'm a little taken aback... i guess it's like anything though, and people take it to the extreme.

i thought high grade shrimp were really really weak and prone to all sorts of problems like most pure bred animals?
A purple cherry would not take time to make. Also, it would be a creation of mutation, not of selective breeding. The survival rate of cherry offspring are very high, and the shrimp as a whole is very hardy. Therefore, as soon as you sold 2 for 300 dollars (if that was your price), the next person would sell their offspring for much less. etc etc. Also, cherry shrimp make separate color mutations very often, meaning that a purple cherry isn't actually as rare of a find as you would think, meaning the price would be low to start again.

Some pure lines are weak, but some are also not weak. They may be a little more sensitive, but if you're buying a 500 dollar shrimp, you are most likely confident in your ability to care for one. If not... well, at least you're stimulating the economy.

There is a large difference between years of selective breeding and months of breeding out a cherry color morph.

·
Registered
618 Posts
A purple cherry would not take time to make. Also, it would be a creation of mutation, not of selective breeding. The survival rate of cherry offspring are very high, and the shrimp as a whole is very hardy. Therefore, as soon as you sold 2 for 300 dollars (if that was your price), the next person would sell their offspring for much less. etc etc. Also, cherry shrimp make separate color mutations very often, meaning that a purple cherry isn't actually as rare of a find as you would think, meaning the price would be low to start again.

Some pure lines are weak, but some are also not weak. They may be a little more sensitive, but if you're buying a 500 dollar shrimp, you are most likely confident in your ability to care for one. If not... well, at least you're stimulating the economy.

There is a large difference between years of selective breeding and months of breeding out a cherry color morph.
so the hope is to create weak shrimp that don't survive to keep the price up? :icon_conf . lol can't have too many surviving or they aren't rare anymore.

makes sense, but doesn't every fancy shrimp come from a mutation and then get bred for specific traits? i wouldn't imagine it would be very hard to do... more a luck sort of thing... the more you breed the more likely you are to end up with a cool mutation you can improve upon and then just remove the ugly ones until you end up with nice looking ones that breed true.

can't say i understand it, but then again i disagree with breeding fancy goldfish and pure bred dogs. guess it would be hard to notice health problems in shrimp though seeing as they only live a few months.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I work here: http://www.koi.com/sales
It is a very similar idea to paying lots of $$$ for a shrimp, you just pay a lot for a fish. Or more descriptively, a work of living art.

The "art" level of selective breeding and culling of koi and/or shrimp is truly something one learns over the course of many years.

For example, when someone sees, paints, and talks over thousands of works of art, they can easily appreciate the more intricate and to many people "less important" aspects of the art. It is the same with selectively bred animals, if you see 1000 or 10000 examples of that animal a year, you know a fantastic one when you see it and on the flip side, something "really cool, but not necessarily valuable" as well. :p

Its the same with cars, art, cattle, dogs, cats, bonsai, orchids... and the list goes on :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.