The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight while I was at my computer and felt a splash of water...confused I looked over to my one nano tank....to see my dwarf neon blue gourami going after a fruit fly. It always surprises me that these fish can spit water like they do! Thought it would be fun to share :p

W

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lol I've heard about that but I've never seen it happen. Wonder if anyone has any video? Guess I'm heading to YouTube.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I don't know about owners shooting video of them in a tank doing it, but I know I've seen footage of wild gouramis shooting insects off leaves (nice slow-mo action shot) on a Discovery Chanel or National Geographics show, maybe 10 or more years ago.
I have a powder blue dwarf gourami too (over 1.5 years with me). Currently I have a polycarbinate hood over the tank (kinda like clear plastic) but it gets condensation built up on it so its hard to see clearly in from above. When ever I come over to feed him he spits up a bit of water to clear the spot right above him on the hood so he can see me and I can see him "I'm over here! Feed me feed me feed me!" Quite cute ^^ I've not witnessed mine go after bugs but he's always had a hood on the tank so it really limits open area to spit out into the air. Did your fish ultimately nail the fly with his spit bombs?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol I've heard about that but I've never seen it happen. Wonder if anyone has any video? Guess I'm heading to YouTube.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
There are a few vids out there..but mine seems to have a lot more power than the videos I saw.

Quite a few fish do this naturally. If you have patience you can even train your fish to do this on command.
I'm sure I could, but i like it being a rare thing.

I don't know about owners shooting video of them in a tank doing it, but I know I've seen footage of wild gouramis shooting insects off leaves (nice slow-mo action shot) on a Discovery Chanel or National Geographics show, maybe 10 or more years ago.
I have a powder blue dwarf gourami too (over 1.5 years with me). Currently I have a polycarbinate hood over the tank (kinda like clear plastic) but it gets condensation built up on it so its hard to see clearly in from above. When ever I come over to feed him he spits up a bit of water to clear the spot right above him on the hood so he can see me and I can see him "I'm over here! Feed me feed me feed me!" Quite cute ^^ I've not witnessed mine go after bugs but he's always had a hood on the tank so it really limits open area to spit out into the air. Did your fish ultimately nail the fly with his spit bombs?
I've seen videos where they do it primarily when they get fed, but mine seems to have a bit more power behind his spray, or maybe that was because he was going after a fly...which he clobbered and ate. I'm just very happy that my fish are all happy enough to exhibit natural instincts though.

W

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have personally owned gourami fish for almost a decade and never seen it... I wish I could witness it but.. hasn't happened. I think the length of water they shoot or spit isn't what we are all thinking.. like a hose or something that hunts out insects and shoots them haha

Image source: http://gourami-fish.com/

I wonder if some of the gouramis do it more or better than others? this video seems to be a dwarf gourami doesn't it? or actually its just an image but that video is at the link I found it at. :eek:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have personally owned gourami fish for almost a decade and never seen it... I wish I could witness it but.. hasn't happened. I think the length of water they shoot or spit isn't what we are all thinking.. like a hose or something that hunts out insects and shoots them haha

Image source: http://gourami-fish.com/

I wonder if some of the gouramis do it more or better than others? this video seems to be a dwarf gourami doesn't it? or actually its just an image but that video is at the link I found it at. :eek:

generally the spray isn't that strong, but when it caught my attention(the first time) it was a strong spray.....nothing like an archer fish...but I could hear it and i got a bit of splash damage..but that could have been from it jumping.. I'll get a video up shortly

W

1 - 13 of 13 Posts