The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interest raising yellow and dark green (india) shrimp colonies.

Regarding yellow shrimps, I have noticed that the shades/intensity of yellow varies a lot from various pictures that I have seen. To achieve a intense yellow colony, do I need to cull the lighter colored yellow shrimps and only allow the more intense colored shrimp to breed? Will get more intense yellow shrimp to start the initial colony better my chances?

Regarding dark green shrimps (not Caridina Babaulti), I have seen a lot of people selling Caridina Babaulti green shrimp but not the dark green shrimps (from India). My understanding is that the dark green shrimp stay dark green at all times unlike the Caridina Babaulti. Are dark green shrimp uncommon in our hobby? Does anyone have a striving colony here? If so, can you please share some pictures and knowledge on these shrimps?

Thanks for any information in advance! :help::proud:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
For the yellow shrimp there are many ways to help increase color, and selective breeding is one of them.

How long have you had them in your aquarium?

What is your set up?

Do you have fish or other predators?

What type of substrate are you using?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Dwarfpufferfish! I am still a newbie with shrimps. I currently only have RCS and soon will have CRS and tiger shrimp. I definitely plan to have yellow and dark green someday so I want to learn as much as I can before getting these shrimps in my tanks. Do you have any recommendations? Each type of shrimps will have their own tank without any fish. Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I thought the "dark green shrimp" were actually the caridina babaulti but I'm a noob to shrimp too so I'm not exactly sure.

I was sold some a while back and they were gorgeous...most were very dark solid green but some of them were also brick red or green with red striations, and some were slightly lighter shades of green. I think the variations made them more interesting and thought of even separating them into diff't tanks to select for certain traits.

I kept them in my rock hard tap water with pH over 8 and they did ok for a long while. Didn't see too many babies live to adulthood though :( and I eventually lost the colony for some unknown reason.

Hope you have better luck with them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts