1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
You're making me hungry! ;)

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Shrimp are awesome to watch in a tank but Im gettin sick of cleaning up their laundry. When they change their clothes, they leave them all over the tank ! :evil:

How do you stop them from molting? :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup! THe shells only last for a day or two and they are gone. The same rule applies when you keep crabs or crayfish, you should always leave their shells in so they have that added source of nutrients :)

If you have a shrimp tank, it might help to drop a small piece or two of crushed coral into the tank, it will provide added calcium for shell growth as well (they don't need too much, like not enough to buffer your water).

·
Registered
45 Posts
It depends on what kind of shrimp you have. Amano Shrimp seem to ignore their skins and don't eat it, most other shrimps eat it.

Most shrimps also appreciate a small(!) amount of Iodine in their water (not sure why, but I will try and add some to my tank)

If you want to know what shrimp you have, try this page (it is in german, but has pictures and the latin names):

Shrimps

If you need help with the german, let me know and I translate.

Greetings
Mad

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interestingly enough.. I now also have baby shrimp! One of the adults I bought was laden with eggs and now I have a tank full of .5 cm long baby shrimp.

The tetra's and Atyposis Shrimp are eating them however so I don't expect any to live. I tried saving some but the shock of moving them killed off any attempted rescue attempt.

If the cycle continues then I will move a pair into a 30 gallon breeder I have set up (originally for the angelfish).

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
GDominy said:
Interestingly enough.. I now also have baby shrimp!
That's interesting. I picked up a few red shrimp (I assume they are cherries, although not labeled as such), and one of them had eggs that you could see through the body. The shrimps hopped around all day and entertained the whole family, and that night about 11:30 PM I took a peek in just in time to see the gravid one drop the eggs into the gravel. Took about 10-15 minutes, I guess. I wish I had a clue what the gestation period was, as I would move the other residents out and try to save the hatchlings. Here's a pic of one of them I took today. This one looks like it's starting to molt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts