The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my plants and decor set up for my 40B! I am going to get a brighter light. I have all the pants on the opposite side of the filter so it doesn't push then out of the gravel. How does it look? Is there anything I should add? I was thinking about getting an air stone but I read is better not to have them with live plants. Is that true?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Definitely going to need more lighting. I don't see the current benefit of adding any airstone. I use and air pump driven sponge filter in my low tech planted with no issues. That being said they're not ideal on the high tech end (other than some set ups for overnights) as they can (it's not 100% of the time) counteract the effects of co2. There's my very confusing way of saying an airstone isn't necessary lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely going to need more lighting. I don't see the current benefit of adding any airstone. I use and air pump driven sponge filter in my low tech planted with no issues. That being said they're not ideal on the high tech end (other than some set ups for overnights) as they can (it's not 100% of the time) counteract the effects of co2. There's my very confusing way of saying an airstone isn't necessary lol
Thank you! That's just and extra light I had from one of 20 gallons. But is that enough plants? I got a pack from live aquaria for a 30 gallon tank but I wanted to add other things in it as well. I want to get another one or 2 pieces of drift wood for in it

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Lol nothing wrong with that. My 40b is low tech too. You're going to want root tabs for the swords and crypts. Swords will wind up going downhill in a few months time and crypts just won't grow- they won't die slowly like swords but they won't grow. It's like crypts just sit there in suspended animation when they don't have the ability to root feed. I strongly recommend adding root tabs and looking into an all in one fertilizer made for low to medium growth. That and a moderate amount of lighting (don't go too bright or too long of a photo period to start) and you should be off to a decent start.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol nothing wrong with that. My 40b is low tech too. You're going to want root tabs for the swords and crypts. Swords will wind up going downhill in a few months time and crypts just won't grow- they won't die slowly like swords but they won't grow. It's like crypts just sit there in suspended animation when they don't have the ability to root feed. I strongly recommend adding root tabs and looking into an all in one fertilizer made for low to medium growth. That and a moderate amount of lighting (don't go too bright or too long of a photo period to start) and you should be off to a decent start.
Thank you! So once I get a better light I shouldn't keep it on all day? And do you have a recommended light?

Is the api brand ok for root tabs?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I like my finnex 24/7 planted plus- model number KL-C361: 36 inch. I have mine set custom with 3 hours custom ramp up, 3 hours at 50%, and 3 hours custom wind down. I would suggest getting a programmable light, regardless of the brand, I just found this light to be the most bang for the buck, it's not the brightest, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, you can't control it via an app but it works and you can control the wrgb intensity and not need a timer. There's plenty other cheaper lights that will work perfectly fine too.

I have used api root tabs, they're decent. I found some no named brand ones on chewy for half the price of the api ones that work even better but work with what you have access to.

·
Super Moderator
16,998 Posts
Are those Anubias and Java Fern planted in the substrate? If so, they need to be pulled up and attached to hardscape. They don't require planting.

You can also trim the rock wool (the padding stuff) off the smaller plants you've got and then separate them a bit more. Space them out some so they grow in thicker. It will also make the tank feel like you've got more plants.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are those Anubias and Java Fern planted in the substrate? If so, they need to be pulled up and attached to hardscape. They don't require planting.

You can also trim the rock wool (the padding stuff) off the smaller plants you've got and then separate them a bit more. Space them out some so they grow in thicker. It will also make the tank feel like you've got more plants.
They're not in that deep. Just enough so they don't float around. And tha k you. I wasn't sure weather I should've kept it on because of the roots. The one has long roots and I didn't want to break them

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you do not have any fish in the tank, it might be a good idea to buy a small bottle of bacteria from the pet store. This should help manage an algae bloom that most likely will occur. Adding fish helps with this too. My first planted tank went into algae bloom crisis until I added the bacteria, after a few days the water was crystal clear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.