The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This is my first post, but I already got loads of information on this forum, so already thanks for that!

So my story; I had a 5gal tank around from my childhood that I recently filled up again and it has been running now for almost 4 weeks. Water parameters stabilized a while ago and I bought 5 Red Cherry Shrimp from my local fish store (I'm located in Belgium). They seem to be happy and I often see 2 or 3 in the front just hanging out doing their magnificent shrimp things :)

Now earlier this week (and during the week-end) I saw the remains of 2 or 3 molts, which makes me think my shrimp are doing just fine. I also have some plants in my tank of which they seem to love my java fern the most (especially the roots of that plant).

When I bought my shrimp I asked to have at least 1 male and 1 female. The guy grabbed 1 male and 4 female shrimp, and judging by their color he was right.
However, after having my shrimp about 1,5 weeks I am not so sure anymore of the male is really a male. His color is less than the other 4 and he even is a little transparent, however his belly seems female like and he may have a saddle (could also be his digestive system, as said I am new to the shrimps). I have some pics below that may be of help (I can provide more if needed).

My (assumed)females:

My (assumed) male:

Next to that I have one other questions.
So 2 or 3 of my shrimp molted. I understood that this is the order: saddled>molt>male/female shenanigans>berried.
I think some of my shrimp were saddled when I got them, however I can't find saddles anymore and I don't see them berried. Is something wrong or could this be normal behavior with new shrimp?

Thanks for helping :)
Joren

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello

4 of my shrimp are dark in color, this one is lighter which made me think he was the male. I started with 5 since I read 5 would be fine, but I hear now more is recommended. I may get more in oktober.

Gh and kh are both 10 if I remember correctly (not at home now) and ph is 7,6. I am awaiting my tds meter.

Shrimp eat well and I see 3 at the same time often. I am have seen all 5 recently at the same time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts