The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This is my first post, but I already got loads of information on this forum, so already thanks for that!

So my story; I had a 5gal tank around from my childhood that I recently filled up again and it has been running now for almost 4 weeks. Water parameters stabilized a while ago and I bought 5 Red Cherry Shrimp from my local fish store (I'm located in Belgium). They seem to be happy and I often see 2 or 3 in the front just hanging out doing their magnificent shrimp things :)

Now earlier this week (and during the week-end) I saw the remains of 2 or 3 molts, which makes me think my shrimp are doing just fine. I also have some plants in my tank of which they seem to love my java fern the most (especially the roots of that plant).

When I bought my shrimp I asked to have at least 1 male and 1 female. The guy grabbed 1 male and 4 female shrimp, and judging by their color he was right.
However, after having my shrimp about 1,5 weeks I am not so sure anymore of the male is really a male. His color is less than the other 4 and he even is a little transparent, however his belly seems female like and he may have a saddle (could also be his digestive system, as said I am new to the shrimps). I have some pics below that may be of help (I can provide more if needed).

My (assumed)females:

My (assumed) male:

Next to that I have one other questions.
So 2 or 3 of my shrimp molted. I understood that this is the order: saddled>molt>male/female shenanigans>berried.
I think some of my shrimp were saddled when I got them, however I can't find saddles anymore and I don't see them berried. Is something wrong or could this be normal behavior with new shrimp?

Thanks for helping :)
Joren

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
When stressed, shrimp can lose color, which may make it easier to see their saddles. Once they acclimate, their colors can darken up.

It's recommended to start with at least 10 shrimp, so you have a better possibility of getting mixed genders. You may need to go back and try to get at least 2 males.

Do you know the GH, KH and TDS of the water?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello

4 of my shrimp are dark in color, this one is lighter which made me think he was the male. I started with 5 since I read 5 would be fine, but I hear now more is recommended. I may get more in oktober.

Gh and kh are both 10 if I remember correctly (not at home now) and ph is 7,6. I am awaiting my tds meter.

Shrimp eat well and I see 3 at the same time often. I am have seen all 5 recently at the same time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts