The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one piece of driftwood in my tank has crevices and holes and Im thinking maybe he is hiding in there because ive seen the second shrimp hanging out underneath it, but we havent seen the first one since the first day we introduced them both to the tank. the second shrimp however is very active and is always on the hunt for food.

could the first shrimp have gotten stuck inside the driftwood? or maybe since the jelly like white algae formed all over the wood maybe he got trapped?

I have a penguin 350 HOB with the intake not being a sponge, its just a slotted grate intake but I dont think it couldve gotten sucked up.. ive seen the second shrimp hanging out near the intake and it didnt seem he was phased by the water pressure.

only other option would be my 3 cardinal tetras, or 3 glow rasboras ate it? unless it crawled in a crevice in the drift wood and kicked the bucket?

·
Registered
528 Posts
All of the possibilities you mentioned, are well, possible. There have been numerous accounts with shrimp being sucked up by HOB filters (and other types of filters also). The safest filter for shrimp are sponge filters, or to add a sponge to your intake. Shrimp have also been known to climb into HOB outtakes.

Keeping fish with shrimp, as many will tell you, usually results in shrimp getting eaten. Cherries are commonly kept with fish as they usually breed so fast, a few shrimp picked off here and there isn't any worry.

It is possible he is inside the driftwood and may/may not be trapped by the algae (although your algae sounds a bit odd...jelly like?)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of the possibilities you mentioned, are well, possible. There have been numerous accounts with shrimp being sucked up by HOB filters (and other types of filters also). The safest filter for shrimp are sponge filters, or to add a sponge to your intake. Shrimp have also been known to climb into HOB outtakes.

Keeping fish with shrimp, as many will tell you, usually results in shrimp getting eaten. Cherries are commonly kept with fish as they usually breed so fast, a few shrimp picked off here and there isn't any worry.

It is possible he is inside the driftwood and may/may not be trapped by the algae (although your algae sounds a bit odd...jelly like?)
Yeah I guess its the normal algae that forms on new driftwood? its like a white jelly blob looking stuff :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just read your other post. I've never heard/seen it but others obviously have. I wouldn't worry about the algae :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just read your other post. I've never heard/seen it but others obviously have. I wouldn't worry about the algae :)

you think me dosing liquid co2 could have killed the shrimp? the other guy doesn't seem to be affected by it really really

·
Registered
528 Posts
you think me dosing liquid co2 could have killed the shrimp? the other guy doesn't seem to be affected by it really really
What kind of liquid co2 (brand)? Doesn't usually effect invertebrates negatively, although it's been known to happen. Be careful not to overdose.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of liquid co2 (brand)? Doesn't usually effect invertebrates negatively, although it's been known to happen. Be careful not to overdose.

I think its by API, it says 1ml per 10gal and the cap goes from 1ML to 5ML on the measuring lines.. I usually fill it halfway between 1 and 5

1 - 9 of 9 Posts