The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you're setting up a paludarium and are looking for some mosses from a forest, I'll be collecting some next week while camping. (Private land, not state owned)

I collected about 8 species of moss last year, and could get a bunch of stuff this trip. I expect to see some liverworts as well. Not 100% what I'll find though.

So pretty much, if you're setting up something and are interested in getting a package I can hook it up. I'm thinking $7.50 total shipped per box? I can guarantee at least 7-8 species of moss.

Figure 8 2x2 inch patchs of stuff. Moss is pretty sweet, especially in a tank.

Payment of $7.50 will be due by Thursday the 29th.
Boxes will ship out on Monday the 3rd when I get back

-Gordon

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've always been a fan of moss. I also like lichens. I'd like to see the pics.

Maybe I'll start working towards a paludrium.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Gordon, sounds like a swell idea! My bf is in the process of redoing his 20G long and this would certainly be nice since he was thinking of having a large piece of driftwood sticking out from the tank that he can grow plants/moss on. Was thinking of suggesting to him Star Moss but heard it was illegal to buy it off Aquatic Magic so didn't suggest that yet. If you could get moss similar to star moss that would be so great!

Would be expecting something like this:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll include photos either later tonight or on Saturday night.

I don't think there is anything like star moss growing in the USA.

Really it would be a mix of mosses found in the woods, and also some found emersed at some waterfalls and other bodies of water.

Regarding the names of the stuff. The heck if I know. Would any of them survive submerged? Not 100% sure. Since waterfalls are high flow, they probably don't like still water.

Regarding lichens. I don't remember seeing much. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

·
2,606 Posts
I'll include photos either later tonight or on Saturday night.

I don't think there is anything like star moss growing in the USA.

Really it would be a mix of mosses found in the woods, and also some found emersed at some waterfalls and other bodies of water.

Regarding the names of the stuff. The heck if I know. Would any of them survive submerged? Not 100% sure. Since waterfalls are high flow, they probably don't like still water.

Regarding lichens. I don't remember seeing much. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Sounds fair enough. Please put me down. That way I can surprise my bf with cool mosses and not have to risk with customs. Will you be gathering leafy plants as well?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
BTW star moss is very common in the USA, it's usually growing on concrete or in the mortar on brick buildings. That's exactly what star moss is, and if you buy it from aquatic magic, it actually still has little bits of concrete in it.

But forest moss is awesome, I'm lucky to live in Washington, the moss capital of the world. I hope you find something awesome!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you leave the burbs, you find things undisturbed.

:^)

I'll have a nice moss garden soon enough! I think I have 4 people on my list currently.
Without a doubt I'll be coming home with some nice stuff. :^)

-Gordon

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Posting photos after I pack my boxes tonight. Lots to do still :^(
I'd be labeling where the plants were located so you'd know where to plant:
IE:
Woodland (Bark/soil)
Submerged (pond/lake)
Emersed (pond/lake/waterfall/river/stream)
Highflow (waterfall)

Hopefully I find some sweet stuff. Realize though the majority of mosses will only be good for terrarium use, and not for fully submersed tanks.

Gotta empty my manaus/belem field from the 33 gallon tank before moving forward. might start it off in a 30 long instead as long as I have the space available.

-Gordon

·
2,606 Posts
Do we have to message you to confirm or we are ok with just posting on this thread. Don't forget to count me in : )

PS: Where are the pictures Gordon?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.