The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Any compact, cheap, and good zoom lenses out there for the D70? By cheap I mean 100-250$ range. And by compact I mean 50mm size or smaller. I need this for traveling so yea.. Thanks in advance!
I don't think those three things really go well together when talking about camera lenses. I'm a Canon user so not real familiar with available Nikon lenses. What kind of zoom are you looking for? Up to 50mm starting where? Starting at 50mm and ending where? When looking for cheap lenses you'll probably have to look at a Sigma or Tokina. Post some more info and I know someone will be able to give you better advice. I think Ibn uses Nikon.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
www.kenrockwell.com < this guy is a Nikonian and has a searchable review site. He is generally critical of the cheap lenses it sounds like you want though.

Can't really answer your question without more information.

I have the Nikkor 18-35mm F3.5-4.5D with the ED glass and can vouch for its quality. recall that 18-35 needs to be multiplied by 1.5 because of the sensor's size, so this is really a 28-50ishMM lens... If it's good enough for Galen Rowell, it's good enough for me! :proud: That is probably out of your price range though. But isn't putting cheap glass in front of a hot body like the D70 kind of pointless? I mean, why bother getting a nice camera in the first place?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 and can say it is excelent. It's cheap and feels like a toy (almost weightless) but gets very good pics. My gripes with it are the thin focus ring wich I never use anyway and a little barrel distortion @18mm wich can be fixed in PS. Like -macclellan said, we need more info.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got a 50mm 1.4 and sold my 18-70mm. I didn't like the 18-70mm since the quality of photos were only alright, but I did like the zoom. So I wanted a zoom lens. I mean if I already have the 50mm do I really need the said 18-55m?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have a 17-35 Sigma F2.8 to F4ish, its not the absolute panacea of lenses, but its not too expensive and is a very good general purpose lense. I've been satisfied with it, it doesn't have the barrel distortion that many of the zooms with greater ranges do.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
no kit lens is good. they all suffer from fall off and sharpness issues. stopped down, they're not bad; they're just slow.

quality zooms aren't cheap? maybe buy a used 20mm or 35mm prime and call it a day.
But isn't the 18-70 the best zoom lens in that price range? You won't find anything better for cheaper.

·
Registered
754 Posts
You really need to determine what use you have, general purpose? Landscape? Sometimes Macro? Portrait? Which way would you want your general purpose lense to lean? Personally I don't like the 18-70 for anything remotely landscapy, my 18-35 kicks its butt. The 18-70 is one of the best kit lenses in a long time by most people's opinion but you should know what you'd like to do most before selecting a lense...

Lenses are optimized for different things...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I have decided on what I will do... I had a 18-70mm that I just sold, since I was always forced to use photoshop after photoshoots and I bought a

50mm 1.4
18-55mm (to replace the 18-70)
and I will buy the
Sigma 15mm for fisheye fun and since I really can't afford the 10.5mm...

I will be traveling with these, taking macros, portraits, landscapes, and whatnot.

Comments?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sigma's 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC MACRO is about the best zoom you'll find in that range under $500. learn to read an mtf chart if you don't know how; it's the only way to know how a lens will perform without using it irl.

quality zooms are rarely below $500, or hover around that price point. a 20mm f1.8 will be 35mm after sensor crop on your body, and will be fast enough to shoot hand held in the dark.

never buy glass slower than f2.8. it's just not worth it in the long run, cause you will replace it; unless it's a Nikkor ED 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF DX VR ($750ish - 1 lens for everything). that lens is slow, but good enough to be the only lens an avg person would need.

both are beyond your budget though. might as well stick with the kit lens until you can spend more on glass. usually you can find great used glass on ebay; just buy from a power seller.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
For that price range, the 18-70mm lens is basically the only lens that will do what you're looking for. You just have to stop down on it for better sharpness.

If you don't need to be 18mm wide, then take a look at the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di lens. Hands down one of the best lenses out there in that range. If you do need it to be wider, then take a look at the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di. Both of these lenses are outside of your price range, but for a decent zoom lens, you'll have to step up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.