The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a high tech 80g heavily planted tank; which after adding my fert regime has developed pea soup. Two weeks tried daily water changed, no light, stopped ferts.. Nothing changed.

Time for a uv sterilizer. I don't want DIY or cheapies... I will pay what I have to for a machine that just works. What suggestions do you have? (Remember 80 gallons.)

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
80g high tech planted (2.7w/g t5ho, pressured co2, EI ferts)
90g bare-bottom Discus growth tank w/ 8 juvies
55G bare-bottom tank w/ 7" adult Discus
Angelfish breeder

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
JBJ (USA) Submariner - 9 watt - for up to 100 gallons - purrs like a kitten - does the job !
I think I have this one. Very good uv. The only problem is it takes up room (in my 36g at least) in a tank but if you can put it outside the tank in a sump or run a powerhead out of the tank into a bucket or something it is great.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about the turbo twist?

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
Angelfish breeder

·
Registered
529 Posts
What about the turbo twist?

Turbo twist (in my personal experience) was a good product. But it's been discontinued, and I don't know why. There have been a couple used units up for sale in the past week or two in the swap & shop. I know the usual online retailers still carry replacement bulbs for them, but I don't have the faintest idea the availability (or cross-compatibility) of bulbs/parts down the road if you use it long term.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Coralife is coming out with a redesign of turbo twist in the next few weeks so the retailers have not been restocking them. I borrowed one temporarily until a new one comes out and it's very quiet and seems sturdy. I've seen loads of great reviews for these.

Turbo twist (in my personal experience) was a good product. But it's been discontinued, and I don't know why. There have been a couple used units up for sale in the past week or two in the swap & shop. I know the usual online retailers still carry replacement bulbs for them, but I don't have the faintest idea the availability (or cross-compatibility) of bulbs/parts down the road if you use it long term.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will a 9w 3x do the job for my 80g?

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
Angelfish breeder

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I acquired a used UV sterilizer in a trade I made with another forum member a couple years ago when like you I was dealing with GW. I tried a full 5 days with no light and had the whole tank covered in thick beach towels and never took even a peak. I reay don't know how people can recommend black outs for GW as in my ex it does nothing. Even if it gets lighter green, within a couple days of turning your lights on and trying to get back to normalcy the GW comes back even harder than before!

So this UV I got seems to be an eBay china made product. It's black with a blue adjustable outflow. It can be taken apart into two pieces and this gives you access to the bulb. You can also adjust the flow rate too. I have no idea how long the person I got it from used it and I think it will be troublesome when time comes to get a new bulb. In my 37g with it running 24/7 my tank goes from pea soup to crystal clear in 4-5 days.

So pretty much what I'm trying to convey is that I think if you go to eBay and get a Chinese model it will suit your needs just fine and not break the bank.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I was sold a JBJ submariner 13 wt at the 9 wt price. I use it on my 90 gallon. It works well. I keep it in my sump. It comes with an adjustable venturi, and it's own pump. It is an inexpensive product.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I happened on a lightly used green mean machine 9w yesterday for $5.

I figured it was worth a try, if it doesn't work I'll buy a larger turbotwist or submariner from eBay.

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
Angelfish breeder

·
Registered
297 Posts
or go to a petsmart and get the little green mean machine. I own both sizes, they changed my pea soup to crystal clear water in a couple of days.
Thats what I got. It cleared up my 29 from solid green(couldnt see more than an inch or two into the water) to crystal clear in about 5 days. Its not super high tech or anything, but you can always find replacement bulbs at Petco or Petsmart.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trying not to get my hopes up, but it seems to be working!! ;)

Jks
---------
60g waterfall tank
Angelfish breeder

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.