The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if someone could recommend some good stores in the Denver/Boulder area to get plants?

I have a 3g Picotope I would like to fill--my first planted tank, so I'm looking for a place with easy, but small plants in their selection.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I was wondering if someone could recommend some good stores in the Denver/Boulder area to get plants?

I have a 3g Picotope I would like to fill--my first planted tank, so I'm looking for a place with easy, but small plants in their selection.

Thanks!
Sherman Tank usually has some good plants, although they have been running low the past few times I have been in there, and they only accept cash. (in Westminster)

Fish Den, has a pretty darn good selection of plants. They even have some Madagascar Lace in the CRS tank.
(in lakeside) yep, its a town, very small town.

Aqua ImportsHas a good selection of plants as well. They can also pretty darn near order anything you wish to get.
(Boulder off 28th just past the YMCA on the right)

Aquatic Exotics Has some plants, mostly stem plants, very few tanks.
(On Arapaho between 28th and foothills on the south side)

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Noahma, thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll try to visit Aqua Imports tomorrow if the roads aren't too bad.
your quite welcome. The guys at Aqua imports are very nice, the two older guys know their stuff, the younger staff, not as much. but they still know more than the average box store employee :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nohama's list pretty much agrees with my assessment. Exotic Aquatics and Aqua imports both have a couple of tanks of plants. Quality is mediocre the last few times I've been there, but that's not atypical of any LFS I've seen.

I haven't been too excited by Sherman tank's plants. They have some great deals on livestock (get their email newsletter), but not much plant selection.

Fish Den is probably worth the trip, once the roads improve a bit. They have the best and highest quality plant selection I've seen in the area.

Alternatively, I'd be happy to get you a cutting or 2 from my tanks. Most of my plants are bigger, but I have Didiplis diandra, rotala macrandra, dwarf chain sword, a couple of anubias, and a crypt that would probably look like giant in your tank.

If you have other specific requests, hit the swap and shop here and see if someone can put you together a package.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
carlstreeter, thanks for the offer for your cuttings! I didn't see your post until after I visited Aqua Imports today. I came home with just 3 little plants. I haven't had an opportunity to look at the tags yet, but one is an anubia, and the other two are dwarf something-or-others (dwarf grass and dwarf baby tears).

I figure 3 plants may be good enough to get the tank going and see if I can keep them alive! I'm sure I'll be hitting the other stores sooner or later.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Check out the Colorado Aquarium Society monthly meetings. They have a mini-auction where you can usually steal some plants. Nothing too exotic, but it will get the tank green. I am a ways from you, but have some plants I could part with. PM me and let me know what you need. Maybe you can take a tour coming all the way down south and hit up Neptunes, Todd's Tropical (don't but-just look), and a fairly new place called Denver Tropical Fish Wholesalers (a little pricey, but got some nice stuff), Broadway tropicals, and the downtown aquarium (everybody has to go at least once).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Theinjected1--

Your post reminded me that I was going to try to put up some more detailed store reviews, since I hit a bunch of them over the summer/fall, and I'm interested in getting a review of denver tropical fish wholesalers.

I think I'll get started on that little project. Should be a good resource for people who are wondering if a given store is worth the drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.