The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I just got the new 20 gal long tank, I am trying to find a new spot for it, I do not have much space in the room, so I dont want to use regular stand for it, I was thinking about one of IKEA dressers for use as a stand, do You think is a good idea? it will hold the weight? I am afraid it would crash, it is IKEA's dresser so probably its not solid build as regular dressers are, but it would fit perfectly for my new tank, the dresser has an exact lenght as 20 gal long . 20 gal long tank will weight a little bit with gravel, etc though..

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It would be worth checking with IKEA how much weight the thing will hold. 20 gallons of water will weight about 167 pounds, plus rock, gravel, and glass.

·
Registered
207 Posts
After looking at the assembly instructions for an ikea chest of drawers... I would feel safer with something else.
Really nothing to speak of for bracing in the front or rear.
I do have a smaller tank on a very old thrift store dresser, but that thing was made to last a lifetime or more.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had used an ikea TV stand to hold my tanks. it was really sturdy whereas now they're on a shelf kind of thing also from ikea but I think the top they're on isn't as thick or sturdy so its a little bowed in Im looking into alternatives. The only down side to TV stands is that they're fairly low to the ground but their dimensions are perfect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am still looking for all alternatives, but as far I can see, all aquarium stands from pet stores are fairly build as well, except for metal stands. most of them are all build with thin plywood, and they're not so solid like the furniture old days. I think the most important thing is to find a furniture for exact length as your tank so the weight is leveled.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I am still looking for all alternatives, but as far I can see, all aquarium stands from pet stores are fairly build as well, except for metal stands. most of them are all build with thin plywood, and they're not so solid like the furniture old days. I think the most important thing is to find a furniture for exact length as your tank so the weight is leveled.
I built my own for my 20H. I dont have a lot of good wood working tools so I wouldnt call it professional grade but it will look good enough. I probably over engineered but I can fill it with water, place as much rock in it as I want and sleep like a baby knowing it isnt going anywhere. I plan on building more on the same design so all of my tanks are sitting on like stands. So you have that option and there are lots of ideas in the diy section of the forum.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I have one that I think someone made. Very sturdy. But it did not quite fit a 20 long (half an inch short). Since it was so close I simply put a thin piece of plywood over the top, hanging over about 1/4" on each side and end. Yes, I know that is really where all the weight of the tank sits, but 1/4" plywood is fine for overhanging that much.
Then I sealed the top with an outdoor rated sealer. It held just fine for a long time. I have since changed where I keep the tanks, and gone to a different shelf system, but I would not hesitate to put a 29 gallon (same footprint as the 20 long) on this stand.

The basic construction is based on (2) 2 x 4 verticals at each corner. One going east/west, the other going north/south (Hope that makes sense)

In other posts that include IKEA furniture the general consensus is that it needs some reinforcing, at least some diagonal bracing or a more securely attached sheer panel. By the time you have added vertical support and improved the sheer panel you might as well start from scratch and just build the stand you want.
I have used one or two IKEA products for book cases. Books are heavy, too. I was not sure it would hold up. But if it fell or broke when loaded with books this is nowhere near the problem of if it had an aquarium on it!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I'm using steel wire racks to hold all my tanks. I have probably 25 gallons of water + sand + rock on the bottom shelf, and a bit less than 40 gallons of water on the whole thing. It's rated for about 10x the maximum I calculated, if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Ikea dresser is just way too generic of a description. There are all levels of quality and sturdiness at Ikea. I bought an Ikea modular desk for my office with a steel frame under it. It weighs a few hundred pounds and several people could safely stand on it at one time. My wife put an Ikea table in her room that is in danger of collapsing if you fart in it's direction. A lot of their stuff would hold up with leg removal and a little bracing, other stuff I wouldn't even consider.

As you noted the a lot of the commercially available stands are very lightly and cheaply built, but they are engineered for the weight of the aquarium on top. The Ikea dresser is engineered to holds socks and chonies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.