The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bad snails in my tanks and have been told that there is a good snail that is safe with plants that eats the eggs of the bad snails.

Anyone know the name and possibly have some for sale?? It may start with an A

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know many of us are just plain hobbyist enjoying our snails and planted tanks, and fish, but be careful about shipping any snails- that are on the invasive list especially from state to state. Plant eating snails have been banned in many states. Because of shipping snails I was paid a visit from the Dept. of Agriculture about my snails and given a list of what can be sent.
omboocat

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I certainly don't want any plant eating snails, I have enough of those I am trying to get rid of even if it takes picking them out one at a time. I was looking for the good ones.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you need mystery or nerites I have these to sell or trade.
omboocat

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know much about those snails or any others. Basically I am looking for snails that will not hurt my plants or my angels eggs when they have them. I would also love it if they ate the other snails eggs or gel stuff.

What are the benefits???

·
Registered
780 Posts
Asolene spixi snails eat the eggs of ANY snails, including their own (not necessarily a bad thing...), but they don't eat live plants. MTS won't eat live plants or healthy fish eggs, but will eat infertile or fungused eggs. Ramshorns will eat fish eggs but not healthy plants, except for the Columbian ramshorn, which will eat anything green. Pond snails (a generic name for at least 5 different species) are a gamble regarding live plants, some will eat them, some won't. I wouldn't trust any of them with fish eggs though.
Because of shipping snails I was paid a visit from the Dept. of Agriculture about my snails and given a list of what can be sent.
What's on the list?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Malaysian trumpet snail. As mentioned above anyone shipping apple snails out of their own state must file and get permits. You must get a permit for each state even it you are not shipping to other states. Anyone needing more information about this let me know and I will provide an excellent link discussing the whole topic. It also discusses how and where you apply for the permits. There are some pretty hefty fines attached to shipping them.

MTS will be fine to ship.carolF. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are a lot of sellers on Aquabid who sell Asolene Spixi snails. You'd better hurry though, the USDA has decided that they aren't going to issue permits for that species anymore, so you'll only be able to get them from sellers who had got their permit before the policy change. They have to renew the permits every year, so pretty soon you won't be able to get them at all unless you can find a breeder in your own state.

Good luck!
April

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yes April, you are right as they have been placed on the invasive snail list. Anyone offering them for sale and shipping across state lines will have problems.
Wilma

·
Registered
27 Posts
Another important point... If you are buying snails, make sure the seller has a permit to ship. If you are caught receiving an illegal snail shipment, big brother is likely to come knocking on your door to confiscate the snails. I really don't think getting a few snails is worth the risk of being labeled a "receiver of illegal contraband"!!!!

April

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
I have some Asolene Spixi snails and they do eat plants from what I have seen. The guy I got them from breeds them and says they will just shread certain plants....maybe not enough other food.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have read that the juveniles will eat plants, but I have a load of them in a 30 long and haven't seen any damage to the java ferns, mosses, or Najas. Is it illegal to ship egg clusters as well as snails, or do they slip past between the new laws?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts