The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you have nuetral to hard ph water, Olive Nerites are great glass cleaners and won't hurt any plants. Snails primarily forge on damaged and rotting material, rather than healthy plants leaves. They can be a nuisance regards population #s.

·
Banned
560 Posts
I despise snails. I crush every one I see or feed them to my puffers. I have ramshorns, pond snails, and MTS.
I used to feel that way till I saw I never had to clean the glass when I had a good number of snails. Ramhorns are great in a planted tank as are MTS. Also add some nirties at a rate of 1 per gallon. They don't breed in freshwater and clean the glass in a huge way. Just my view on this.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Absolutely agree with the nerites! They're awesome workers. MTS are great because the keep the substrate stirred up and prevent anerobic pockets.
Pond snails on the other hand....I had them totally over run one of my tanks once. They were in the filter, they dessimated my plants, it was awful. I'm with Epic when it comes to them.

Apples snails are great too, as long as you get the briggs and not Canas (sp?) which grow to softball size.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had good luck with true mystery snails, how ever apple snails (same genus larger species in general) will eat ANYTHING they can reach. But they are also now banned from interstate transit for fears of escape/release into the wild. Our wholesalers at work need permits to sell mystery snails now.

Other than that nerites and MTS do well. MTS just reach plague proportions in some tanks.

Jason

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Olive Nerites rule.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to my LFS yesterday and bought a black mystery snail. So far so good on plants but he did eat the bottom leaves of all the plants because they were dying/decaying. The oto likes him! Everytime I look in the tank the oto is always eating what the snail is eating right by each other. Is it normal or snails to burrow into the substrate? Mine is right now.

My LFS didn't have any nerites either, I wish they did!

Smalltank

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.